This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68788 July 20th, 2006 at 02:51 PM
OP Offline
a while back i posted about my pine starting to die. at the time i just attributed it to being crowded out by the other taller trees. well, it eventually all died. i was out watering today and i swore i heard noise in the tree! i looked closer and saw little tiny holes all over the bark and noticed the stuff being pushed out of the tree. not like saw dust- more like small pieces of the tree. it wasn't as grainy as saw dust. not like termites. and termites don't eat live wood, right? i got a pocket knife from in the house and tried to cut out a bug from one of the holes and couldn't- they must have run deep inside. the holes go under the bark and right into the middle of the tree! the holes are small- maybe a centimeter across. i think my husband and i are going to cut down the tree friday morning as he is off of work that day. what the heck do you think it could be? what eats a live pine tree to death? do i have to worry about any other trees or just the pines? i would get a picture but i'm having a hard time connecting my camera to the computer- it doesn't want to recognize it after 3 years! mad

#68789 July 22nd, 2006 at 12:36 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
It sounds like some sort of borer. Did it die from the top down?

#68790 July 22nd, 2006 at 01:08 PM
OP Offline
no it died from the bottom up......

#68791 July 22nd, 2006 at 03:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ants can live in alive trees....
and do like you discribed....

#68792 July 23rd, 2006 at 02:23 PM
S
S
Hi Pagardener
I live in NE PA also. I am a new member but I was wondering if it is a hemlock tree or a spruce?
the hemlock trees have been attacked by woody adelgid. Its is a fluid-feeding insect that feeds on hemlock trees throughout eastern North America, including Pennsylvania. They can happen from bottom to the top.

the spruce trees have been attacked by an eastren pine shoot borer on white spruce. they bore from top down.

The hemlocks in my area have really been hit hard. Then the gypsy moths also ate every leaf off off the oaks.

to love NE PA!!

#68793 July 24th, 2006 at 01:48 PM
OP Offline
****You can move this to pests if you want...****

well we cut down the tree today. ters as we were sawing we saw 1 fly out of the tree. there were probably more but we only saw 1. it is very weird looking. i've been looking on the net forever and can't seem to find an exact picture. closest i can come is a pales weevil BUT with a smaller snout. maybe this guy wasn't fully grown yet? i saved it in the kids firefly jar. i'm taking it up to the local nursery place and ask them tomorrow. i'll let ya know.

#68794 July 26th, 2006 at 03:52 PM
S
S
Pagarden
I was wondering if you were able to get your pest identified?
Please post when you do, Im very interested.
thanks

#68795 October 8th, 2006 at 04:04 PM
Any word on this pest?

We have some 5 to 6 foot spruces just outside our front door. I noticed swellings on the branches as well as curled dead tips. I looked it up and they were Spruce Galls (from a small aphid-like insect)I found pics on the web:
The swellings:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The brown curling:
[Linked Image]

The reason I mention this, is because I ALSO noticed weevil-like bugs in the kitchen near the windows (close to these trees). I have been worried about my rice/flour/cereals, but thanks to your post...I am thinking they are coming in from outside. Insects are often drawn to plants that are already sick/infested, right?

I googled tree weevil and got the white pine weevil. Interestingly, they are often called SPRUCE weevils, as they also favour that tree.
http://www.pfc.forestry.ca/entomology/weevil/about_e.html

I don't know if you've solved your mystery, but I think you solved mine!
Thanks!
smile
AT

Link Copied to Clipboard