This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68637 May 14th, 2006 at 03:47 AM
OP Offline
I just planted my geraniums in two wire/moss/coconut hair hanging baskets and am now wondering about the water. Do these type baskets hold more water? Less? or Same as a plastic pot? I really don't want to have root rot and they look like they might not need watering as much. If you have used them or know anything about them, I would love to hear feedback on them.

Thanks

#68638 May 14th, 2006 at 09:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wavey so good to see you, it's been awhile. i don't have any, but i do know there are two kinds. one has a plastic "liner" between layers of coconutt fiber. those are the one that will cause root rot if you aren't careful.

#68639 May 14th, 2006 at 01:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bought one without the plastic liner, actually when Jiffy was here the first time to visit. There was one left and she said if I didn't buy it she would..... laugh

Anyway, mine leaks water out really bad. :p

I might hang it off the tree so the water doesn't drip all over the porch when I water it. thumbup

#68640 May 15th, 2006 at 12:31 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the welcome. I pop in every now and then to see what's growing in ya'lls gardens smile

I don't see any plastic liner and it doesn't seem very wet this morning. I love the way it looks but since I didn't see it drip water, I thought I may have goofed. I have a tough time with geraniums anyway and decided to try one more time with them. I don't know why, but they would rather rot and die then live with me shk If I had my computer, I would send you a picture while they are still alive and gorgeous. It crashed and I'm at the mercy of my hubby's laptop smile

#68641 May 16th, 2006 at 06:39 PM
Coconut fibre (coir) hanging baskets are great for geraniums. |They will dry out fairly quickly in a windy situation and may require more frequent watering in hot, dry spells.
The speed with which they drain and dry out will also depend on the potting medium you used. The coir itself is very free draining.

Link Copied to Clipboard