This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68596 July 4th, 2006 at 02:44 AM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been trying to decide which ground cover to use for a sloped area in my front yard. I would prefer something evergreen and hope for a little color. I already have vinca growing EVERYWHERE on my property and want to avoid it at all costs.

I purchased seeds for catmint thinking it would be perfect then read that my 3 cats will probably destroy it by eating and rolling around in it. I didn't realize it was in the same family as catnip!

My 3 top choices so far are moss/creeping phlox , blue rug juniper and the pink/purple creeping thyme . Does anyone have experience with any of these and would you recommend them?

What is your favorite ground cover and why? I had no idea how hard this decision was going to be!

Joanne

#68597 July 4th, 2006 at 02:51 AM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
I forgot to mention that the slope gets full sun. wink

Thanks!
Joanne

#68598 July 4th, 2006 at 12:14 PM
R
R
english ivy is evergreen & tolerates full sun. no flowers.

cotoneaster has flowers (nice scent) for 6 weeks in late spring/early summer. plus red berries afterwards through the winter. it is evergreen. consider planting it with room to spread & fill in. but leave some gaps. in the gaps try gomball or some other low-growing spiraea.

3rd idea, make a wildflower bed. perennials + annuals. buy seeds that will give blooms at different times. supplement with bulbs if you wish early spring blooms.

#68599 July 5th, 2006 at 02:40 AM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Rugbyhukr, I love the idea of wildflowers. The don't think I could keep the ivy contained very well and I just ripped out some cottoneaster I wasn't too fond of.

Do you think the wildflowers would keep the weeds under control? We also have some poison ivy that pops up there as well. I'll look into this, thanks!!

Joanne

Link Copied to Clipboard