This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I guess I'll have to BACK to TSC this week to buy a bigger bag of thistle.

They are currently going after the BOS.. I want to hurry up and replace the thistle though so they dont get discouraged and leave.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was wondering, will they ONLY eat thistle seed????

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
No. Goldfinches also love Black Oil Sunflower seeds. I can't afford thistle seed but I get lots of Goldfinches with my sunflower seed, too.

yep - Mine have been going to town on the sunflower seeds too! And... they have finally turned that beautiful bright yellow! cool

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh that's great!!!! thumbup I thought I saw one eating off the seed bell I have on the clothesline.....it has sunflowers in it. thumbup

I seen some here to drinking out of my pond!!
Nice to see spring is finally here!!

The new pics are great. I just love the bright yellow! I have lots of birds, still trying to figure out what they all are but none that are such bright yellow!

OP Offline
Triss, Thanks! I am having a blast photographing and id'ing the birds!

Thornius, hmm thats good to know that they'll eat the BOS too.. I thought the book said it had to be shelled sunflower seeds... sure would be easier (not to mention CHEAPER) to stick with BOS for all of the feeders.

I bought 2 new tube feeders today.. they are metal so maye they'll be safe. I found today that the squirrels had EATEN my plastic feeders grrrrrrrr. Hopefully the metal tube feeders will fair better.

I just looked at all your pictures and really enjoyed them! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Looks like the birds have found a very happy home in your yard. It's so wonderful to see all the different colored ones there!

OP Offline
We are having so much fun watching (and listening) to all of the birds!

We just had some Gackles visit us yesterday... not to sure what I think of them.

Tonight I ordered Sibleys field guide (and some other things hehe) from amazon. Can't wait to get them! I am enjoying Stokes, but would like to have something else to compare.

BTW I add new pictures almost daily to my album, so check again later to see what else we discover!

I really need to get a field guide soon!

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Sibley's, Triss, Sibley's.......Western or full North American Edition.

I know Thorny, that is the one I am going to get when I get the extra funds for it!

Link Copied to Clipboard