This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68105 June 26th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
D
OP Offline
D
can anyone tell me why my watermelons are rotting and splitting open at the bloom end? so far it seems to only be the elongated type my black diamond, and cantaloupe seem to be ok. could it be the same thing tomatoes do with B.E.R. they start out fine then all of a sudden they start getting soft on the blossom end and some split open. i've been watering them about once a week. this is my first garden so i don't want to loose them we were all excited about all the melons they are everywhere. thanks

#68106 June 26th, 2006 at 03:39 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi David,
How's the watering and soil staying wet or dry?
If it's really hot, lot's of wind, dryin' out..
and inconsistance source of water, ie: hose or rain.. that can happen..

Have you sprinkled any Epsom Salts around the plant? That can help it utilize better the calcium in the soils/dirt...

(any type of beetle/grubs around in soil or in the stem of plant?)

#68107 June 26th, 2006 at 05:29 AM
D
OP Offline
D
i've been watering about once a week my black diamonds and cantaloupe are doing fine and they are in the same spot. have seen a few beetles but doesn't explain why the others aren't being eaten.some of my tomatoes are doing the same so i got some bonemeal to put around them would that work for the melons? how much salt should i use? thanks.

#68108 June 26th, 2006 at 05:44 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
David here's some info from Epsom Salt
There's three links on the left side,
You're already linked to the first one..
but make sure you click on the next two below..

That will help you with how much to apply and how for each type of plant...*under garden useage tips*

Too little calcium can be due to a couple of problems, could be low soil pH, or low calcium and irregular uptake of water.

#68109 June 27th, 2006 at 12:35 PM
I have a small watermelon on my vine, about the size of a golf ball, they are so cute at that age!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard