This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67962 September 9th, 2006 at 11:34 PM
OP Offline
(well, what is it? I penny, a nickel? Hold you horses and let me get the dirt off!-A DIME!)
(We're in the money, 42nd Street)

Just kidding.... laugh laugh laugh

Actually, i finally got my Prickly Pear Cacti Last night. Some of the pieces are a little wrinkly, but i'm not sure why...
I'll post some pics as soon as i find my camera.... Duh

I really need to know how to care for it-any tips would be greatly appreciated.
The plant is about 9in tall, and 7.5in long at farthest sides...The pot is only 2 inches...
Each little pear section thing ( laugh ) is about an inch and a half long...
Thanks again for all help!!!
ANY care tips what-so-ever will be of great help! thumbup

#67963 September 10th, 2006 at 12:03 AM
A couple of questions...

Where did you get it?
Is this a houseplant, or are you planning on growing it outdoors?
When you got it, where was it growing?

You knew you could count on me for more questions, right?!? laugh Duh shocked thumbup p

#67964 September 10th, 2006 at 12:50 AM
OP Offline
yup.....Lynne is the official question-person! laugh

I kind of want to keep it indoors, but if grows better outdoors, i'll gladly put it out...I got it at the local mom-and-pop-shop, family owned florist. They had it kept inside, and watered it very, very little...

I'm open for any other questions....don't be afraid to ask! laugh

#67965 September 10th, 2006 at 01:26 AM
okie dokie then... laugh

The reason I was asking is, I have a nice sized patch of prickly pear that grows outdoors. I've never grown this particular one indoors before, but am planning on taking some inside this year.

You will need to give it as much sun as possible indoors. Also, do not water it very much - probably once a month is more than enough.

It could be wrinkled for 2 reasons - either it got too wet, or needs water. Sounds crazy, right? If the other pieces are healthy, then take care of those and don't mind the wrinkly ones - they might come around for you - if not, you could cut those off if they get worse.

Can't wait to see the pictures - will know more then!

#67966 September 10th, 2006 at 01:39 AM
OP Offline
Can't wait to see the pictures - will know more then!
as soon as i find that camera....... laugh
I'm getting a better one soon, one that has better quality pics, if you ever have seen some of my others.... :rolleyes:
I watered it last night a little, and i'll make sure to give as much light as my aloe... laugh

Thanks you so much, Lynne!

#67967 September 10th, 2006 at 09:57 AM
My prickly pear generally gets wrinkly from lack of water. They are one type of cactus that needs more water than most. It will survive on little water, but thrives on more. Water it small amounts about once a week inside. Quick draining soil or sandy soil and I would say- keep it away from cool drafts. Good luck to you!! Any time you would like more...let me know, I have a yard full of small peices that I keep mowing down...

#67968 September 10th, 2006 at 10:06 AM
OP Offline
Thanks you so much, Tonya! thumbup
It's going to stay indoors now.

I wanted to mkae sure what I was doing with it, first...I wouldn't want you to mail anything and then have it die because of me not knowing what to do with it! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

#67969 September 15th, 2006 at 06:37 AM
OP Offline
Well,i finally got a pic of it, although it isn't very good--this is another pic my lil' brother took...Anyway... here it is:

[Linked Image]

I think part of my aloe is in the backround...ignore that... laugh laugh

#67970 September 15th, 2006 at 08:04 AM
Nice Mark! clp clp I know you are excited!

Link Copied to Clipboard