This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
AmyC Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have a nice Christmas cactus that needs to be re-shaped, so I was going to trim some of the 'branches' and use them to start some smaller plants. Also thinking these might make nice teacher Christmas gifts later this year. Anyway, what is the best way to root the cutting? In water or should I put it in moist soil? Thanks!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've always done them in water.

Hi Amy

Welcome to the forum.

You've got a great idea! Best time to root plants is spring time so go for it.
My Christmas cactus had a bad fall 2 years ago, broke off quite a few branches today it's back to what it was. But it didn't bloom for a whole year. Normal I was told. Good luck.

G
G
Do you support them at all in water?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i just do mine in moist soil. works well for me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i tend to match the size of the rooting container to the size of whatever i'm trying to root.

i use all different things (in all different sizes) to do rootings in. vases, ceramic pots, old glasses and coffee mugs...pretty much anything that will hold water!

particularly small cuttings go in shot glasses. long pieces like wandering jew go in large vases.

A
AmyC Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Good deal, I have plenty, maybe I'll try a couple in water and a couple in soil and see how they turn out, I appreciate the help-thanks!

G
G
I use all sorts of things here too! Drives my hubby nuts nutz

I have tried water and they rotted.. So I just stuck them in potting soil, and viola......never lost one.
Easy rooters, and dont require any speacial soil.

Cant beat that one.
clp clp clp
dodge

I started a bunch of them in water from clippings from a friend. Mine rooted fine, put them in a pot and only 1 is growing a new leaf.

Any ideas?

G
G
If I understand correctly they are slow growers. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Link Copied to Clipboard