This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#67801 June 5th, 2006 at 05:15 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Patty S:

However, I AM still looking for the name of a commercial cut flower preservative, like what florists send in little packets with cut flowers! I'd already tried all the home "recipes" that people have suggested here, [b](INCLUDING BLEACH)
, & am simply not satisfied with the results, as compared with whatever is in those packets!

I know that besides containing sugar, the commecial/professional preservative also contains some sort of a microorganism (bacteria) inhibitor & a "respiratory inhibitor" that work together to "feed" the flowers & aid them in water uptake. Apparently, the commercial preservative is a very illusive commodity, but I haven't given up my quest to find out what it's called & where to get it! [/b]
Okay, finally found it...
I now remember why I couldn't find it...
**I signed up to HARRIS seeds, under commercial wholesale person .. and they send me stuff... and it was thru there I saw the info...
so, here's the link..
Harris seeds Professional Grower/ID...uot;Rippit" flower Food Pkts (100)

I am not 100% sure if you can order it or not, thru the whole saler end of it??? Duh

#67802 June 5th, 2006 at 05:57 AM
weez,

your choice.

I watch my pennies..$24.00 defeats the purpose to me.

dodge

barb

#67803 June 8th, 2006 at 05:25 AM
i read back a while ago that a little vodka in tulips helps them to stay upright. tried it back on easter (i always put out a vase of tulips on easter) and it worked!

#67804 June 8th, 2006 at 06:14 AM
I picked these 2 days ago can I put some bleach in now or will it do no good? I am kinda obessed with cutting flowers my husband thinks I am nuts.. He says as soon as they start to look pretty outside I distroy them I disagree hehehe oh well. [Linked Image]

Heidi

#67805 June 8th, 2006 at 06:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
*****Heidi,
My mother and I have always used this statement or sentence...
See what your husband has to say...

"We like to enjoy the flowers NOW,
NOT when we're dead"

I love picking flowers and sending them to my mother..
I agree somewhat about leaving them,
*for seeds and such* but tell him you'll just have to plant MORE than,
some to cut and some to
LEAVE OUT SIDE!! wink wink wink smile flw clp

****Dodge, I agree with you on the watchin' the pennies thing...
One income family here..

But those packets can be a big time saver, if you cut alot of flowers..
and do alot of things with them...
It does come out to be about .25 cents a package..

#67806 June 8th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
weezie......

very good.......Money spent on mom is better than beer........
Glad your mom is a good buddy.

barb

#67807 June 8th, 2006 at 07:32 AM
Heidi

That is so pretty.. I put the bleach in before I put the flowers. They say the algae germs start right away when you cut an pop them in.. You can cut them again an redo it.. make a Large slant so the can absorb more water..
Also they say putting them in the refrigerator for 4 hours before you put them in the water helps prolong the bloom too..

I didnt try that one yet,.. But I will.

Let me know your results.

barb

#67808 June 8th, 2006 at 07:35 AM
pagarden

Your a tipical penna.. person.. Vodka is also beyond my budget. Maybe you got it drunk an it forgot to die? p

Good luck.

barb

#67809 June 8th, 2006 at 01:19 PM
Great info thanks! I always thought the powder stuff didn't work very well anyway. The water always ended up all smokey and the flowers didn't last.

#67810 June 9th, 2006 at 07:30 AM
Hey Patty, I mailed you some information about how to keep cut flowers lasting longer. wink I'm sorry frown it's not about the product you were looking for but it has some valuable information and it was much too long to post here. Hope it helps! wink

#67811 June 9th, 2006 at 08:05 AM
C
C
I was watching "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" the other day, and one of the tips at the end of the show was to add a little vodka to the vase water to make the flowers last longer.

#67812 June 9th, 2006 at 08:07 AM
connickfan,

I was just joking....I should work because, I think it is a germ killer....Least ways the old western movies poured booze on the gunshot wounds.. ha hah

glad it works

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard