This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67462 August 30th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
O
Oregon2 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
We have lived here 3 years, and for those three years I have watched everything I've tried in this one spot die! It's bloody frustrating.
Under the house overhang, faces north, with the most beautiful live oak tree in front, so you can imagine the amount of shade we get.........but nothing lives. I brought a camilla with me from Oregon, and finally planted it in this spot in the spring. It was doing beautifully: new growth, looked like it loved it..........then no rain, 40-some days of 100 and plus temperatures, and you guessed it: dead! What can I put there? I'd like something that would grow about 5 feet, flowers would be nice, I thought Encore Azalea, but even they need a little sun...........HELP!

#67463 August 30th, 2006 at 11:09 AM
Welcome to the forums! wink Your spot sounds perfect for a Hydrangea. If they are watered on a regular basis, they are very dependable. Have you considered Hostas or are you interested in only shrubs? The weather in this part of the country has been tough on the plants the past year. Hopefully we'll have a better one coming up. wink

#67464 August 30th, 2006 at 11:17 AM
I suppose that you watered the Camellia about every other day, correct? If not, that's probably the problem.

Full shade but hot, right?

Still needs routine water if newly planted.

If you were watering it frequently, then there is something odd.

Does it have to have flowers, or can it be something like a yew?

Link Copied to Clipboard