This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67357 March 9th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
Myrna Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought a book Encyclopedia of plant care, very informative. Duh thanks

#67358 March 9th, 2006 at 11:08 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I pinch with my fingernails it's easier for me than using garden shears for little tip pruning which is what I'm assuming they are talking about.

That's where you take off the very end of a branch where the new leaves are forming in order to get the plant to branch more. Does that sound like what your book is talking about?

#67359 March 9th, 2006 at 11:37 PM
Myrna Offline OP
OP Offline
yes, thank you it was referring to a poinsettia, i have one from Christmas and would like to keep for next year. it said to pinch the new branches in April. Now I understand. So I just pinch the tips of the branches?

#67360 March 10th, 2006 at 06:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
TK has properly defined pinching for you. However, I want to take issue with your plant encyclopedia. As with most plants, pruning (cutting off a portion of a stem or stems) is more appropriate than pinching.

Following a Poinsettia's flowering period, you will probably observe that some new green-leaf growth is emerging in one or more places on the lower portions of the stems. It is best to prune each stem back to a point just above the lowest new-growth point on the stem. This will leave the Poinsettia looking a little sparse initially, however Poinsettias are rapid growers and will soon fill out. The aim here is to have a shorter more compact plant with lots of healthy new growth that will grow through the spring and summer.

I have written an article on year-round Poinsettia care that I will send to anyone who sends a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Will Creed
Indoor landscaper
NYC

Link Copied to Clipboard