This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I told a friend about this site, and the next thing I know she's bringing a plant to me, asking if I can ask 'the plant people' what's wrong. I guess it has recently lost a whole bunch of leaves. Here's a picture. Can anyone help?
plants/CIMG0978.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

My guess is the soil is too damp/wet. I know what this is but cannot recall the name right now. It doesn't like wet soil though. Bonnie

R
R

M
M
Ah, yes, gynura aurantiaca v. Sarmentosa, AKA purple passion plant. It likes sun and even moisture without ever being soggy. They're nice. The leaves will root. Stem cuttings will root. You a/o your friend can have as many as you want.

OP Offline
So if we dry out the soil a bit do you think it will put on a few more leaves?

OP Offline
How should I root this plant? Should I put it in water or dip it in some hormone?

Amber

You just take cuttings and put them into water ( remove the bottom leaves) you should have roots in no time. This is a very easy plant to root. My new Kitty just recently decided mine was her new toy. She pulled pieces up by the roots and played cat and mouse with it. I cut the bad bits off and stuck them into water, Viola! You can also pinch that leggy growth back, to encourage bushing of the plant.

B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

A
A
I had one of these plants years ago and gave it to my Mother. They thrive in bright light. Without it they become stalky or leggy. I also found with proper lighting the more brilliant the color. Good luck. Andi

Link Copied to Clipboard