This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67139 July 24th, 2006 at 12:12 PM
OP Offline
Anybody wanna to talk about peony or dahlia?

#67140 July 24th, 2006 at 11:51 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm always willing to talk about peonies. And I just planted my first dahlia. A yellow one. It sprouted yesterday so I'm very excited.

I have 5 peonies. One that has flowered and 4 that haven't yet. Next year will be their third year in the ground at this location so I am expecting great things.

The one that sprouted looks very much like the powderpuff peony. It was very attractive but a heavy rain caused it to shatter after about a week.

The strange thing about it is that it is a single stock. And that hasn't increased. It is the largest of all of the peonies standing about 30 inches tall. The rest are standing about 12 inches tall.

I'm using the alphalpha pellets as a fertilizer.

I would enjoy hearing about your plants.

#67141 July 26th, 2006 at 02:35 PM
I have a few peony plants that are very old. I'm always stumped as to weather I should mow them now that the blooms are way done and the plants are practicaly laying on the ground. I'd like to mow them to kind of clean up that area. Does that hurt next yrs blooms?

#67142 August 1st, 2006 at 06:09 PM
I have several Peonies and I was always told to cut the foliage down almost to the ground in the fall. thumbup

The leaves have an important job to do and that is to produce food that is stored in the tuberous roots over the winter. This food helps to support the plant growth in the spring and makes for a healthier plant. However, if you cut back the foliage prematurely, then the plant will make and store less food. frown The longer you leave the foliage the better, but it should be cut back shortly after the first hard frost.

Link Copied to Clipboard