This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
My 2 week old (BEAUTIFUL!) sugar baby seedlings just got knocked off the light shelf, fell about 5 1/2', some uprooting and leaf/stem damage occured, but nothing too horrible....are they toast?? I have plenty more seeds left to plant. Just wondering if these have a chance. Are they pretty tough? This is my first time growing 'em.

Thanks for any thoughts!

flw

D
D
lol we must be some how connected! Mine did the exact same thing today. . was windier than all hell outside and i had them in the windowsill getting sunshine. POOF!!!! sca

I'd direct plant some seeds where they are to grow as they aren't too fussed on transplanting. You may be best to just plant the seedlings straight out too as they won't like being moved twice. Water with some seaweed or kelp extract to minimise shock.

OP Offline
Danno: How do yours look today? Mine seem ok.

Longy: So you think I should plant today.....I was going to wait till next week, Im warming the soil with black plastic and I was just getting to putting the compost in today, and I wanted to let that cook in the soil for another week before planting.

Actually before this happened, I was going to post about being too attached to them to give 2 the axe (I have 4 seedlings in a container, and only 2 will be going in the 4'x4' raised bed together). Maybe I should plant all 4 and see who looks the best and then...chop... eek

flw

I would put in all 4 and thin the 2 weaker ones later.

So you think I should plant today.....I was going to wait till next week,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LOL. Whatever blows your hair back 'sparagus.
Just to clarify my suggestion, to replace the seedlings into the pots and then a week or two later to transplant them again will double the risk of transplant shock. So i figured just do it once.
I'd also poke some seeds in the ground where you do transplant the seedlings as well, so that if the seedlings don't survive you will have backups. They will germinate once the soil gets warm enough.
And yes, i'd plant all 4 out and see who wins. You may lose some to pests or whatever yet too...

OP Offline
Whatever blows your hair back 'sparagus.
laugh

OP Offline
to replace the seedlings into the pots and then a week or two later to transplant them again will double the risk of transplant shock.
*SIGH* I wish I would have followed your advice here. I planted them last night (almost a week after the "accident") and first thing this morning they looked ok, but I watered them a little and now they are looking sad. eek

Stems are strong but leaves are floppy. They got some dilute fish emulsion water last night.

Im replanting, but still feel sad for those babies!! ters

They got some dilute fish emulsion water last night
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Seaweed extract. That'll perk 'em up. it's so good that stuff. Once at transplanting and again a week later. They don't even know they moved!

Link Copied to Clipboard