This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have a privacy fence on 3 sides of my yard ... we opted not to put up a fence on the 4th side due to the fact that my neighbor had a privacy fence up that was partially on MY side of the property line (long story)....

Now I am feeling the need to put *something* on that side of the yard. I currently have roses growing there but plan to move them in the fall. I would like something that is evergreen... fast growing... reaches at least 5 ft tall up to 10 ft tall.... flowers/berries a plus but not a must .... Bird friendly (feeding/sheltering)....

That spot is full sun up until about 3 pm and then it goes into partial-full shade. Ga clay however I always replace the dirt around plants with a top soil/hummus/potting soil/sand mixture.

Oh and I am in zone 7a

Any ideas/ suggestions for me?

Thanks so much!!!

K
K
There are lots of things you can plant for privacy. I used ornamental grass, various bushes that produce fruit for birds; i.e., Multi-stemmed Serviceberry. I also plant avoriatae.

Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
You may want to check out some of the up right junipers. They are pretty quick growers,dence, evergreen, and have small berries, that I think birds eat, but not sure. They can also be pruned to shape.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I like quince but it does travel so you have to stay on top of it. It produces fruit that is human friendly so I'm sure the wildlife would like it too. It does have very large thorns so it is a nice nesting place for small wild creatures that need protection. It also produces very early spring flowers that are very very pretty.

R
R
heteromeles arbutifolia 'toyon' or 'christmas berry'

Starla,

I have a similar situation in my yard and I went with Leland Cypress, which is an upright evergreen that looks similar to abrovitae or red cedar. It has an upright habit, grows quickly and really tolerates that clay soil. I am in the same zone as you and the Virgina clay has got to be just as bad as that in Georgia :p The tree does not have much in the way of flowers or fruit, but does provide a good nesting site and shelter. The main thing is that it is a hardy tree that grows quickly and is virtualy maintainance free. Makes a great screen for pesky neighbors. thumbup

J
J
I used blue prince and princess hollies to hide an electrical box on my property. Beautiful year round evergreen foliage, hardy, red berries on the female plants in the fall which birds adore and it tops out at 12-14 feet if left unpruned. Leyland cypress will grow to 60-70 feet.

Foster hollies are another good holly...somewhat pyramidal shape, very "neat" growth, and heavy berry production. Cedar Waxwings, cardinals and jays love the berries.

OP Offline
Thanks guys!

I've been thinking about Leland Cypress... but wasnt sure about the height and lack of berries.... The thought of a holly is a good idea... now to figure out which ones grow the fastest, oh and I didnt realize that hollies ALSO needed male and female (anyone who read my "fruit" tree ordeal knows I just learned that with them too)

Good suggestions.. keep 'em coming smile

Thanks!!

OP Offline
YAY! I found 4 Blue Princess hollies @ Lowes today for $5 WOOHOO!! Now to find a blue prince to go with them!

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Does anyone know how fast they grow?

Link Copied to Clipboard