This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#62908 February 7th, 2006 at 09:06 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm moving my Hydrangeas to the shady side of the house where they'll get a few hours of early morning sun, because they've been in a spot that gets full sun for 3/4 of the day & were always turning brown. (Somebody told me they were burning, from too much Sun.)

Right? Duh

#62909 February 7th, 2006 at 09:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
More than likely...yep.

My 5 hydrangeas are in in the same position as yours....early morning sun and shade the rest of the day and they are beautiful and very healthy and like that location a lot. I'm sure they'll like their new location a lot!

How big are your hydrangeas? I've always heard they were hard to move if they've been in one spot a long time.

#62910 February 7th, 2006 at 11:49 AM
Do they like their roots wet or dry? The area right behind my house which may get a bit of morning sun (but I doubt it) is very damp all the time it seems.

#62911 February 7th, 2006 at 12:03 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
teech In Greek, Hydrangea means water tub.
Hydra= water
Yes, they like it wet!
Hydrangea care

#62912 February 7th, 2006 at 12:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh yeh...when it's hot and dry out for weeks on end in the summer I soak them good every day..... thumbup

#62913 February 7th, 2006 at 12:53 PM
Thanks Bill. Going to invest in one of them for sure then!

#62914 February 7th, 2006 at 05:09 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
How big are your hydrangeas?
You mean how tall? Ummm... up to about --here--! laugh

[Linked Image]They don't get much taller than up to my waist (long legs/high waistline!) Duh (I want to wait for Hubby to dig it out for me, because I don't have the weight or strength to get the shovel in deep enough to get as much root as it might have to offer... I'm assuming that it's important to get as much root as possible, but don't even know if Hydrangeas have a Tap root or not...) Duh

Which leads me to ask, how much root does a section need, to survive? (I'm thinking that if this plant is propagated by cuttings, then it should be able to thrive if there is any root involved at all, during a transplant.) Duh

Thanx for the link, Bill.
Last fall I tilled up the spot where I want to relocate these Hydrangeas & dumped Dolomite into the soil -- in varying amounts across the area... as an experiment, to see if I could change the pH & get different colors of blossoms from each plant. (Comments, please.)

I have to laugh at myself a little, as I'm so new to gardening that I barely know what I'm doing in the first place, yet I take off on a wild adventure to try to change the colors of flowers!! HEY, can't hurt anything... sca CAN IT? eek

#62915 February 8th, 2006 at 03:08 AM
Patty I think that the roots extend almost to the edge of the plant. Two years ago we had 3 trees fall and crush our deck and all the plantings around it (put there by the previous owner because I'm pretty useless in the garden) and in spite of being crushed the hydrangea came back beautifully and continues to send out new shoots. It's probably hardier than you think it is.

PS I think size refers to how round it is not how tall it is.

#62916 February 8th, 2006 at 04:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think they do send down pretty deep roots to get to the water. I'm not sure though because I've never dug mine up.... Duh

Here's one of my 5 hydrangeas...3 are great big established ones like this, and 2 are smaller ones that I planted a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

#62917 February 8th, 2006 at 06:18 AM
Stunning loz!!! cool

#62918 February 8th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Lynne, they're so beautiful when they are in full bloom thumbup .....I just wish they'd last longer than they do...they get so top heavy we have to tie them up after a while or when it storms it flattens them... :p

#62919 February 8th, 2006 at 08:30 AM
E
E
Hey guys. I love hydrangras. The mopheads are great but there are a couple of new varieties like "Endless Summer" that bloom off the old and new wood which extends the blooming in my area. Also, there is a variety "Lady in Red" which changes leaf colors in fall and is a marvelous addition to the garden.

#62920 February 8th, 2006 at 09:09 AM
Gorgeous pic! Do you ever add anything to the soil to change their colors?

#62921 February 8th, 2006 at 10:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Triss....I've never tried to change the color before....I actually like the white to be honest....it just looks so fresh and bright against the green of the leaves.

The 3 established ones were the only plants here in the yard when we bought the house other than the 2 red maple trees, and a blue spruce.

You can't see in that picture but Mark made big wooden boxes to go around the base of them.... thumbup

#62922 February 8th, 2006 at 10:46 AM
Does that help them stay upright?

#62923 February 8th, 2006 at 10:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nah but it looks nice and neat in the winter when they've been cut down. We usually have to rope them up to the chain link fence in the back....some of the t-storms in the summer can be bad and I learned my lesson a few years ago...I didn't tie them up that year and they were totally flattened...all of the big beautiful flowers were pretty much ruined.....

#62924 February 9th, 2006 at 02:35 AM
That is too bad, but at least you know now and I bet that makes it easier. How far back do you cut them every year?

#62925 February 9th, 2006 at 03:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I could them all the way down to the ground in late fall.....since the ones I have blooms on new wood it doesn't hurt them one bit! They grow that big every year!

And yep, trial and error is what works best in the garden....LOL

#62926 February 9th, 2006 at 03:36 AM
It just amazes me that things grow so big in just one year!

#62927 February 10th, 2006 at 12:27 AM
I have a few hydrangeas clp
I got oak leaf(pretty fall colors.dry years are the bomb!)
and another one but has pretty pale liliac blooms and then got a nikko blue.
I root my cuttings off too.and I moved one from SIL house.so the roots aren't too bad i dug out about 1 1/2 ft out from plant and we wiggled it around.It had a tap root,but we really didn't pay that much attention to it.I'm sure it will do nicely as it DID have roots in mass to boot.
Mine get more sun than shade,but the oakleafs WERE in shade till Rita retreescaped my yard.My shade beds changed lighting wise& my heavy shade bed now just has a shade spot,but not deep like before.I do water them well.There are pictures in yahoo,but don't think i have a shot of niko.

#62928 February 21st, 2006 at 11:01 AM
Patty- we dug up our hydrangea to move it to another place that I thought it would like better. I tossed out all the old branches-trimmings etc into the woods.. Well they came up beautifuldidn't do anything to them-just tossed them out. Now of course I am out there getting all of those little plants and moving them around the border of our wood. preety stubborn things there! but cool! more plants!

#62929 March 6th, 2006 at 12:19 AM
F
F
I love these plants... I've made it my mission to have one of each kind, I think! lol
As for changing colors, if you wait until just before the buds start opening, then add lime (or tsp or 2 of dish soap mixed with water, so I've heard) to make them red/pink, or (used) coffee grounds to make them more blue/purple. Add it around the drip line, and water it in. That should cause the colors to change for you. You can play with the amounts of additives to get what shade you want. These are such gorgeous plants!

#62930 March 6th, 2006 at 10:52 PM
Hello.. How big do they get? I was thinking about putting one on each side of my front stairs. Are they green year round?

#62931 March 7th, 2006 at 01:48 AM
F
F
As for the size, it depends on what type you have. Some stay around 3-4', others will grow into small trees. Here in z8 they usually lose their leaves in the winter, but I'm not sure if they in warmer climates. Hope this helps!

#62932 March 7th, 2006 at 02:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine grow to be about 4 - 4 1/2 feet tall, and get really wide....if you look on the first page you'll see a picture of mine. In the late fall, or early spring I cut mine all the way down....mine grow from new growth, and not old growth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard