This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
The closest thing I can find in trying to identify this nasty, horrible, little bug is Mexican Bean Beetle.
[Linked Image]

The desciption I found for the Mexican Bean Beetle is:
Adults are lemon to copper colored, oval in shape, and 1/4 inch long with 16 black spots on their back (wings).
But this one only has 9 spots... as do all its friends, who totally wiped out my corn crop last year, & are into my roses this year! mad

More important than finding out WHAT it is, is finding out how to get rid of it! Last year I tried several different things (& some commercial applications that I would never normally use ANYWHERE, much less on food plants), but it's a die-hard! The corn was so devistated (besides having been sprayed with "bad" stuff), that I pulled it all up & put it in the burn pile... & planted grass there! With that kind of bug around here, I won't even try corn again!

Anybody have an idea what it is? ...and/or how to get rid of it?

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I found my bug! Duh
The floor is open for suggestions.......

...while I go & edit the title of the topic.

that's odd- i live in NE PA and found a few of those guys today. only about 2 or 3 the rest of my bugs were the striped cucumber bettle- similar just with stipes instead of spots.

[Linked Image]

maybe there's something that looks like the spotted one that lives up this way? i squished 'em just the same as my striped ones though! mad nasty nasty bugs...... they spread disease too...

Here is some more info on your bug Patty.

Cucumber Beetle

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Apparently, according to what I've been reading about Cucumber Beetles, they come in several colors & patterns! I haven't seen any of the striped ones around here... (but the spotted ones chew up enough in my gardens without needing help, thankyou!) mad

I don't know why, but these bugs have been narrowed down to where there are Western & Eastern Striped Cucumber Beetles, Western Spotted Cucumber Beetles & California Banded Cucumber Beetles. (Also, Southern Corn Rootworms, whose larvae are similar in appearance to Striped Cucumber Beetles, as shown in Triss's link.)

As near as I can decipher, the primary differences between these individual beetles are the regions they live in (east, west & California... if you can believe it!) :rolleyes: & the stripes, or the number of spots, on the individual species! perpl I think that whether they're striped, spotted or banded, for our purposes we're safe just calling them Cucumber Beetles, & knowing that we don't want them in our gardens!

Here's a link to the Cucumber Beetles: Organic and Biorational Summary page, on the National Sustainable Agriculture Information Services website.

Yes, pagarden, I understand that these Beetles & their larvae transmit viral diseases such as bean viruses, squash mosaic virus, & bacterial wilt on MANY plants... such as melons, potatoes, peas, corn, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, flowers & fruit trees. (Gosh! what else is there?) [Linked Image]

J
J
Cuke beetles come in either striped or spotted varieties. I only get the striped buggers here. What a nuisance!

Link Copied to Clipboard