This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#62351 November 8th, 2005 at 10:48 AM
G
G
Yep Weezie....there are actually aquatic vets who will perform a hysterectomy on a fish. I kid you not.

Dr.Helen Roberts in NY is one of the more prominent ones that I know of. She has been written up in several magazines and journals for her willingness to specialize in fish surgery. It is a growing field as people have more extraneous money to spend on 'luxuries' like fish surgery. Even vet schools are starting to offer more in the way of specializing in aquatic medicine.

I know a woman who has used Dr.Roberts for several surgeries on her run of the mill, pet store fish. (She's a bit more bonkers than most though. wink )

Cyst removals and such are more common than neutering though. smile Neutering often happens when a female fish becomes egg bound and either has to have the eggs surgically removed, or the owner decides risking becoming egg bound again is not worth it. (The eggs can basically become impacted internally, almost like constipation.)

#62352 November 8th, 2005 at 10:50 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Crazy Frannie...you should see my real neighbor.
She thinks I'm NUTS! laugh shocked
(But she likes me!) thumbup

She was a nervous wreck when she saw me out here on a backhoe digging the front yard up. She just KNEW Andy was gonna use the hole for something besides a pond when he came home! laugh lala

#62353 November 8th, 2005 at 10:51 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I know a woman who has used Dr.Roberts for several surgeries on her run of the mill, pet store fish. (She's a bit more bonkers than most though. )
Uhhh............. lala shocked

#62354 November 8th, 2005 at 10:56 AM
Cindy i ve got good news p p

#62355 November 8th, 2005 at 11:06 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
antikoiception
laugh laugh thumbup muggs laugh

#62356 November 8th, 2005 at 11:09 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I wanna know HOW they preform the neutering..
Do they like pull them out of the water,
lay them on a gurney and put an oxygen mask
over their gills??? wink laugh Duh

#62357 November 8th, 2005 at 11:25 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Neutering often happens when a female fish becomes egg bound and either has to have the eggs surgically removed, or the owner decides risking becoming egg bound again is not worth it. (The eggs can basically become impacted internally, almost like constipation.)
OMG! How would I ever know if one of my fishies was in need of medical care...I didn't even know they were pregnant and then all of a sudden a zillion babies.
If one of them was egg bound...how would it tell me?

See why this is stressful for me? Duh

#62358 November 9th, 2005 at 08:14 AM
G
G
Here's a link that describes one of the procedures that Dr.Roberts has done...she was written up last year in the NY Times for her aquatic veterinary practices:
http://nasw.org/users/skloot/Nemo.htm

They actually use anesthesia, although balancing it is a lot harder with fish than with mammals.

There are lots of after surgery therapy practices too...because usually the fish is not able to manage it's balance well, so often a sling with bobbers or floats will be used.

And Afgrey...don't panic. Sick fish that can be saved (usually with readily available meds from your fish store or Walmart) show symptoms. You may see them looking bloated, floating and having difficulty swimming, having odd growths or fuzziness, changing colors (such as looking reddish), clamping their fins or refusing food. If you had a female who became eggbound you would know...she would float to the surface, bloat up and have difficulty getting back down under the water.

#62359 November 9th, 2005 at 10:54 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Giraffe...that was an AWESOME article! shk
Absolutely awesome!

My fishies seem to be loving their new home.
They look so small in that big pond! laugh

I thought they'd be mad at me for moving them...but they aren't.

Quick question...is it harmful to a goldfish to hold it...under the water?
They like to lay in my hand...and I didn't know if that was a bad idea or not. nutz

Thank you so much for that article.

Cindy

#62360 November 10th, 2005 at 07:52 AM
G
G
It's not particularly harmful unless you have recently held something else that might be harmful (fertilizer, bug spray, soap, etc.)

Wash your hands well...and rinse well. Then, you can splash a little dechlor in your hand and hold them without worrying about harming them. I wouldn't rub them because you will remove the slime coat...but if they like to sit in your hand or if they bump against you, that is fine. smile

Actually, them being comfortable with you is a great thing. It means you will have better opportunities to look at them and make sure nothing is funky is going on with any of them. smile

#62361 November 10th, 2005 at 10:03 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Well...they sure like to lay in my hand for some reason...probably because they see "that hand" drop food into the pond everyday! laugh

Well...day five since the move from the puddle to the lake, and they all seem to be doing fine. thumbup I gotta get some pictures tomorrow...those fish that looked so BIG in the puddle pond look so tiny now! laugh

Cindy

#62362 November 10th, 2005 at 10:21 AM
"You may see them looking bloated, floating and having difficulty swimming," I'm so glad I read this!!! I know what's wrong with me. I'M A FISH! Cindy, can I live in your pond. Guess since you dug up the yard, you're staying. So uncover that piano (I've been so worried about it), call Gene and tell him you don't need it moved after all, and play a pretty song.

#62363 November 10th, 2005 at 10:42 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
"You may see them looking bloated, floating and having difficulty swimming," I'm so glad I read this!!! I know what's wrong with me. I'M A FISH!
laugh laugh laugh thumbup
Lola was thrilled...she sang such a pretty song while I was playing, and just swayed back and forth while she was singing. I need to play it more...for her.

I ran into Gene Saturday night when I was out.
Let's just say he knows I was pretty ticked off because he never showed up. lala

Cindy Faye

#62364 November 11th, 2005 at 07:38 AM
Today I played the piano for a little while...the first time I've played it in several months.
Just like riding a bicycle! thumbup
Lola was thrilled...she sang such a pretty song while I was playing, and just swayed back and forth while she was singing. I need to play it more...for her.

Cindy Faye [/QB]
This makes me feel so happy. It's like your back in full Cindy form. You do need to play for Lola and for you and for you forum friend - me.

#62365 November 12th, 2005 at 10:27 AM
laugh laugh laugh
If that is a pond, I hate to see you did a dam..
Man you do have spunk........
Are you putting whales in there/
Duh Duh
Just wondering.

dodge kit

#62366 November 12th, 2005 at 10:34 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
dodge...My 70+ goldfish looked like whales in my other pond laugh ...now they look like minnows in the new one.

Guess that leaves me room for all the babies they will end up having! :rolleyes:

Gotta get some more pictures tomorrow...I brought another load of rocks up day before yesterday with the backhoe...and got most of them around the edge of the pond. Can't wait 'til I can say "I'm DONE!" grinnnn

Cindy

#62367 November 13th, 2005 at 01:32 AM
I gotta get me a backhoe.

#62368 November 13th, 2005 at 09:32 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Sheri...If you get a backhoe, don't get one for the reason I did. :rolleyes:
I always thought a backhoe was kinda erotic... idea get the backhoe and operate it yourself. Don't take the man that comes with it. laugh

Check this out...
Today I picked Brennan up and we stopped at the store and got this neat scuba diver for the pond. The goldfish LOVED it!
They chased it around...it was so cool!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe they thought it was their daddy! shk

#62369 November 13th, 2005 at 09:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Maybe they thought it was their daddy!
Uhhhhhhhh, maybe they thought it was,
DINNER!!! wink laugh laugh laugh

#62370 November 13th, 2005 at 10:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, really cool Cindy.....

It sorta looks like a small lake instead of a pond....LOL

#62371 November 13th, 2005 at 10:41 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
It sorta looks like a small lake instead of a pond
Yeah...nothing ever turns out normal for me. :rolleyes:
Since it's a lake I think I need to name it! grinnnn

"Lake SomethingOrOther" nutz

#62372 November 13th, 2005 at 10:47 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Used to be "ON" GOLDEN PONDS..
But in your case Cindy, you could call it,
"IN" GOLDEN PONDS... wink laugh

#62373 November 13th, 2005 at 10:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh laugh laugh

teech I know! Lake Eiffelinalot....

Say it right and you'll get the idea!

#62374 November 14th, 2005 at 02:26 AM
Hubbys fancey molly its STILL growing(and victumizeing his tank mates....when he don't make a meal out of um)I don't know if HE"S in the carp family...but he's about the size of one.when he's sideways in tank(a 55 gal)he lacks 2 inches to being as wide as the tank.
Like the scuba dude.I think ya need an underwater light!(not that Andy would...credit card& all)a piano huh.I wouldn't know where to stick one around here.

Pond looks GREAT!if ya get the urge to dig again.....load up that back-ho& ya can dig my pool!

Can name pond Jims Beam Lake...all falls are welcome& permitted.

#62375 November 14th, 2005 at 09:25 AM
G
G
Holy cow njoyit! Someone lied to you guys...there is no way that is a molly. Even the large mollies max out at 4 inches. I've kept them for years. I think someone snookered you. wink

(If you can post a pic I could double check that ID for you.)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard