This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#62301 October 29th, 2005 at 03:05 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
First of all, don't start the project when you are mad or in a bad mood. frown

Second, USE A MEASURING TAPE! eek
Don't estimate the size...because it will turn out wrong.

I bought a pond liner at Lowe's yesterday. It is hidden in the back of the Avalanche under some stuff. It is a 10' X 13'. laugh laugh laugh The reason I am laughing here is because I just dug a pond 10' wide...not to mention 4' deep...and about 16' long.
In other words...I just dug a freaking POOL instead of a goldfish pond.

[Linked Image]

...more to follow after I get back from Lowe's (in the next town!) :rolleyes: with a bigger pond liner.

Cindy JANET

#62302 October 29th, 2005 at 04:30 AM
my my my-quite ambitious aren't you? Did you do that all by hand? I knew a guy in my previous life that I wish I had a tape mesure - never could do eye measuring very accurate.

#62303 October 29th, 2005 at 05:23 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
my my my-quite ambitious aren't you?
Well...I was earlier...now I am quite SORE! eek

Did you do that all by hand?
No, but I did a LOT of it by hand! :rolleyes:
I started with a backhoe...and couldn't really tell how deep and wide it was...it looked a lot smaller from the backhoe. grinnnn Well...that comment brought back a memory for me, too! lala

Cindy Janet

#62304 October 29th, 2005 at 05:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cindy!!! Another pond!!!! You're so lucky thumbup , but seriously---do you know what you are getting yourself into.... p laugh Next year around this time you'll be freaking out over winterizing 2 ponds instead of one.... laugh I'm just picking on you you know that...I think it's great...will you come dig me out a pond too?????? Bring the backhoe on up here to MD---nobody will mind following you on the interstate.... grinnnn

#62305 October 29th, 2005 at 07:19 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
---do you know what you are getting yourself into....
Yeah...big trouble! laugh

...will you come dig me out a pond too??????
Sure...can I hit the road in your direction tomorrow?
...and I might need to stay awhile. p

#62306 October 29th, 2005 at 07:27 AM
You are nuts, absolutely nuts,

*shaking head over and over*

#62307 October 29th, 2005 at 08:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Late fee for not having cell bill paid by 4 pm - $30.00
Pond liner - $188.00
Underlayment - $55.00
Pump and Filter - $240.00 (on sale!)
The look on Andy's face when he sees a huge pond in his yard -
PRICELESS! ! ! ! !
laugh laugh laugh

Andy's just going to love you!!!!! You know you could just tell him he must be going nutz and seeing things....

When he says, what the &^%&* is that in the yard just act like you don't see it! laugh

#62308 October 29th, 2005 at 08:13 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
laugh laugh laugh

...and guess what???
I just paid his cell bill OVER THE PHONE!
I didn't have to pass Lowe's to begin with!
laugh laugh [Linked Image] laugh laugh

#62309 October 29th, 2005 at 08:15 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
When he says, what the &^%&* is that in the yard just act like you don't see it!
I'm gonna go out there and practice that before he gets here...you know, the perplexed look on my face, the shrugging of my shoulders, the tone of my "Huh??? Duh Pond???" nutz

#62310 October 29th, 2005 at 08:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just paid his cell bill OVER THE PHONE!
I didn't have to pass Lowe's to begin with!
laugh You're bad!!!! laugh p

I'm gonna go out there and practice that before he gets here...you know, the perplexed look on my face, the shrugging of my shoulders, the tone of my "Huh??? Pond???"

laugh I just hope when he gets there that he can see the hole...could you imagine if he fell in it....be pretty hard to pretend it wasn't there then--and then he'd really be mad.

#62311 October 29th, 2005 at 08:41 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I just hope when he gets there that he can see the hole...could you imagine if he fell in it....be pretty hard to pretend it wasn't there then
Whoooooooopssssss!!!

#62312 October 29th, 2005 at 08:55 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
laugh thumbup
All I can say about that is...
Too bad it doesn't have water in it yet! ! ! ! !
lala

#62313 October 29th, 2005 at 10:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh

Your too funny...I'd love to be your neighbor...I could sit outside and watch you fall in your ponds all day... thumbup laugh

#62314 October 29th, 2005 at 10:46 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
OMG! shk
I hadn't even thought of the fun of having 2 ponds to fall into now!
laugh laugh laugh

#62315 October 29th, 2005 at 10:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey, it's a cheap way to keep cool in the summer....... laugh

grinnnn

#62316 October 29th, 2005 at 10:30 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
The Morning After

Well...it's a good thing I didn't try to move the backhoe last night. Or, maybe if I had gone ahead and moved it it would have been O.K., since there wasn't ice on the yard last night like there was this morning. eek

The side yard that the backhoe had to be driven down is a hill...not all that steep, but pretty long. Andy moved the backhoe before he left...and when he started down the steep part of the hill (the top is steeper than the bottom...) the backhoe started sliding on the ice, and turned sideways. When he got to the bottom of the hill it started tipping over...was on two wheels, with the other two about 18 inches off the ground...but he kept it from turning over. I was standing at the top of the hill watching, and let me tell you...you couldn't have driven a greased needle up my a$$ with a sledgehammer.

He wasn't even mad about the pond or the backhoe... nutz
...but he doesn't know about the pond liner, etc. he bought yet. lala laugh

Cindy Sue

#62317 October 30th, 2005 at 06:22 AM
I laughed until I was crying. My hubby came in to bug me and I read your adventures and he said Don't even think about it. Spoil sport. Anyhow-I thought that ponds weren't suppose to be under trees-something about them needing sunlight. If this isn't true-as my daughter says Score! I know just the place for one next year!! I can do this while he is on one of his road trips.

#62318 October 30th, 2005 at 08:00 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Oh, man...this sooooo tops the "horse blanket in the washer" thing I do...

If only My hubby knew how lucky he is.... laugh

I think I need another pond...and the horse blanket looks a little muddy this week! dev

#62319 October 30th, 2005 at 08:27 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
If only My hubby knew how lucky he is....
laugh laugh thumbup
shk

Anyhow-I thought that ponds weren't suppose to be under trees-
Well...they're not. shocked
I like to do everything bass-ackwards!

#62320 October 30th, 2005 at 08:35 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Update

This -------> [Linked Image]
is a good thing to have when building a pond.
But...you should use it when you start digging the pond...while you still have access to a backhoe.

I set it up this morning and found out that one side of my pond was 6" higher than the other side. :rolleyes: So, I have been digging most of the day...with a shovel. I had to take 6" of dirt off of 18 FEET around the pond. The pond is almost 18' long...and about 8 feet wide.

Andy said he would come back this afternoon before his "date" grinnnn

I got it in the pond and started filling it with water. I had to take my boots off and get in to keep the liner in the right spots...and I about froze to death. When I got about 2 feet of water in it I got out to get a glass of wine. When I got back into the pond with my pint mason jar of wine, I slipped on the slick liner and went right down in over 2 feet of very cold water. So, my pond has been christened now...it has a pint of Chardonnay in it. muggs I was soaked from head to toe, so I changed clothes and went back out to the pond. I filled it up to about 3 feet, then it got way too cold...I couldn't feel my toes anymore. So, I came in.
I'm trying to dry my cell phone out right now...I took it apart and have all the pieces laying on the heat register, so hopefully it will dry out and be O.K. I have such bad luck with phones. :rolleyes:

Cindy Sue

#62321 October 30th, 2005 at 09:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh

I knew it, I just knew it!!! I KNEW that you'd be in that pond within 24 hrs of digging it out!!!!!! laugh What in the world are we supposed to do with you????? kissies

#62322 October 30th, 2005 at 10:00 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I am still freezing!
I just can't get warmed up.
I don't like getting in a swimming pool in the hottest part of summer...let alone falling into a pond on an autumn day...and today it was 55 degrees out.

Rachel said if I leave my phone on the heat thing for a few days it will dry out and be o.k., but I don't think so frown ...because I dropped one in a septic tank once and tried to dry it out and it never worked right again.

#62323 October 30th, 2005 at 11:12 AM
Cindy-you remind me of a famous quote which has been used for a very long time but somehow it reminds me of you and this lastest indenvor: "I have a dream...."

#62324 October 31st, 2005 at 12:48 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
"I have a dream...."
Yeah...that'd be me. "The Dreamer"! laugh shocked
...most of them turn into nightmares, though. shk

I just watched a very informative show on HGTV about building a garden/goldfish pond. I did everything WRONG! The first thing they did before starting ANYTHING was shooting grade. I didn't set the laser up until I had finished digging the pond. nutz That cost me 4 extra hours.

...and now we know why the name of this topic is "how NOT to build a pond"! laugh lala

If I did something right the first time I'd probably go into shock.

Cindy S.U.

#62325 October 31st, 2005 at 10:19 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I'm too tired to even tell you what I did today...
...but here's a pic of where I am.
This sucker is deep!
I ought to know...I took a swim in it today! laugh
The "little" pond behind it is 13 feet long...if that gives you and idea!

[Linked Image]

Cindy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard