This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by weezie13
(in the Fruits and Vegetables forum... about rooting broken-off tomato stalks) :
Just remember once a plant is in water,
it will develope "water roots" and feed it'self
with water nutrients..
If you turn around and put it in soil,
*which is not a bad idea, after all that is where they grow naturally*
But if you do put it in dirt,
the first week, keep it in a cup, so the soil
is really wet, puddle like..
then gradually as the weeks go by, decrease the water and just let the soil be moist..

That way, it eventually re~sends~out~new~dirt~roots, and can feed it'self accordingly..
I found that very interesting Weezie, & it got me to thinking! Duh
Any thoughts on that?

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Alot of times when I stress about water roots and dirt roots is when someone's left a type of plant, like you're talking about, in water, for like a year..*or so* and they get a wild hair and stick it in the soil one day and it doesn't do so well, or brown leaves appear..etc..

If a plant is left in water a short reasonable time, there shouldn't be a problem with the roots, they adapt pretty good..

But it's the one's left there a longggg time and have a slow time getting re~started..

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Weezie! Duh

Good to know. I will be sure and keep a closer eye on my hibiscus and not let them sit too long in the water once their roots start to show.

Link Copied to Clipboard