This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61646 April 1st, 2006 at 10:48 PM
OP Offline
I love Hydrangea, my Grandmother used to grow them... but I can't seem to find them anywhere... Every Nursery or Garden Center I go to tell me that they don't do well in my area... but I've heard the opposite from a few Gardeners. Does anyone have anything to share about them that might live in my zone, or that have experience growing them.

I'm wanting info on Mopheads (blue Nikko, Oakleaf, anabella etc.)
Thanks in advance

#61647 April 2nd, 2006 at 01:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i love them too! i bought one a couple of years ago and then i was lucky enough to be able to transplant one from a neighbors yard (they were moving and the bed was going to be removed by the new owner).

they generally don't do well in your zone (11). most are not recommended past zone 9. there might be a type that would do well enough if kept in a container (then you could bring it inside). and there's always new varieties that might be hardy to your zone.

lol! i did some googling to help you out and found tons of great info on hydrangea!! (which will help me out with the two that i have grinnnn )

see if these sites are helpful to you:

what grows where

hydrangea.com

usda hydrangea info

#61648 April 2nd, 2006 at 04:43 AM
K
K
I have Oakleaf Hydrangeas. They are good for shady gardens.

#61649 April 2nd, 2006 at 05:39 AM
OP Offline
If Im in 9b wouldn't that still be somewhat suitable. I'm guessing it would need partial shade in my area, since it does get pretty hot.

Just to get some answers I called Home Depot to check if they had any in stock and they told me they did, but could not tell me which ones... and they told me they were house plants. I wanted to lol, but didn't.

#61650 April 2nd, 2006 at 07:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, the heat is an issue for hydrangea.

i checked and raymondville looks to be in zone 11. which doesn't mean you couldn't successfully grow hydrangea...you'd need to make sure it's in a pretty shaded spot and keep it very well watered. and i'd make sure to get one of the varieties that are recommended for zone 8 or 9.

anything that is more for zone 5 or 6 really wouldn't do well where you are (too hot there).

altho, the whole discussion is kind of moot if whoever you spoke with at home depot claimed they are houseplants. that statement basically says it all about whether these are suitable for your area.

#61651 April 2nd, 2006 at 12:11 PM
I grow oak leaf& it does well& I grow it in sun.It had great fall coloring last year cause was a dry year.The hortensia ones would not do for you.Mine struggle& their in shade.Nikko blue does well and is shade grown.it blooms on old wood(I divided it this year and moved some to AM sunshine)I have a plant of one from SIL yard.it seems to bloom better with sun& hers were about 4x4.It bloomed most the summer.

#61652 April 3rd, 2006 at 11:50 PM
OP Offline
Where in Tx are you NJoy? I'm in the Rio Grande Valley

Link Copied to Clipboard