This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59984 June 18th, 2006 at 05:08 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Though Id post some pics of a few of the fruits I have growing! First here is a pic of my Maxim Strawberrys- these are June bearings but they are producing very well! They were actually free bonus plants from Stark Bros, from an order I placed this spring

[Linked Image]

Here is a pic of my Tristars strawberrys- Everbearing day nuetrals growing in a tower made from cocoa fiber. The tower will hold 25 strawberry plants, these are starting the bear fruit, although I ave plucked alot off to get the plants off to a better start:
[Linked Image]

Next is a branch of one my 2 Bartlett pears- with baby pears. This year had a decent fruit set of bartletts, the trees are still young but produced well so far. Other pears are producing too, including Duchess, Moonglow, and Potomac pear which as an Anjou X Moonglow cross.

[Linked Image]

Next you can see a few baby peaches. Its a Belle Of Georgia Peach - which is a white fleshed peach. The tree was planted last fall!

[Linked Image]

Next is a Reliance Peach. It is a very cold hardy peach- yellow fleshed. It had the best fruit set of the peaches, but is still young too.

[Linked Image]

Last pic of the bunch, is baby Golden Delicous apples. The deer really like grazing on my apple trees, but this one has branches high enough to keep them off! My gala set a few apples too, all the others are still too young!
[Linked Image]

#59985 June 18th, 2006 at 06:05 AM
My Bartlett Pear has one lonely fruit on it, I planted it last year and with the dry weather I am surprised it grew any fruit.

trees/Pear03.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#59986 June 18th, 2006 at 09:00 AM
Nice pics. I have a few baby apples, which is quite a surprise. A late freeze got most of my fruit. I have over 20 trees, mostly peaches, and I was really looking forward to having fruit this year.
Oh well, there's always next year! eek laugh

#59987 June 18th, 2006 at 10:11 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Amigatec- I planted my 2 bartlett trees last year too. The pic is really of just one branch both trees set a decent crop. Did you plant any other type of pear tree nearby? Pears needs cross pollination from another type of pear to really set fruit. Bartletts, are really only partially self fertile-but will set way more fruit with another type of pear close by. Your tree looks healthy, it should do well. Does your winter weather in Oklahoma meet the required chill ratings for a Bartlett? Ive always heard Bartletts do not do well in the South due to fireblight, and lack of chilling hours.

#59988 June 18th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
Last year we didn't have a winter, never got very cold. This is the only pear tree I have I do have a peach and plum, but neither of them do any good.

The peach tree died and the plum makes small fruit that all fall off.

#59989 June 18th, 2006 at 10:31 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Bartlett pears need 800 hours of chilling below 45 degrees to set fruit, and cross pollination as well. Lots of cultivars of Peaches,and Plums need a certain amount of chilling hours as well.

#59990 June 18th, 2006 at 10:57 AM
The peach and plum and never set good fruit, I want to cut them down and use the wood in my smoker, but wife won't let me.

#59991 June 19th, 2006 at 05:02 AM
My mouth is watering...Cannot seem to grow fruit well..sure looks good.

#59992 June 19th, 2006 at 07:21 AM
Deep Creek, what will you do with all your fruit. Once the trees start producing there is way too much. I feel guilty leaving it on the trees or ground but after a while I can't even give it away.

I got some plums today. Some of them already have mushy spots from the dryness then all the rain, so maybe I won't have too many of them this year. Plums don't keep a long time.

#59993 June 19th, 2006 at 10:18 AM
DeepCreekLake

I love your idea of that strawberry tower. Did you build it yourself or do you buy it like that? Do you think I could still start this type of tower at this time of the year? I live in a zone 3b area.

I'm also gathering some info' for next year, would love to do some strawberries.

#59994 June 19th, 2006 at 10:44 AM
Pear trees...... I'm sitting here drooling....
Enjoyed all of the pictures too !

#59995 June 19th, 2006 at 11:57 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I eat as much as I can, some I dry into chips (dried pears are very good!) Also share with family etc. Most of my trees are still young but getting some fruit to keep me busy. Rosepetal- The tower I bought from a Nursery in PA, however Stark Bros does sell the exact same one! www.starkbros.com. I dont see why you cant plant now, in fact many people plant them in fall for the following year.However I dont know if plants are stil availible from most nurserys. Its probably too late for June bearers if you want fruit this year, everbearing maybe ok. That being said- I would not leave it outside to freeze up, being its in a container- store it in a cold unheated basement with low light until spring. Some people bring them indoors, and let them produce still! The nice thing about it is when a frost is expected, you can bring your strawberry patch indoors, and prolong the season. Also better for managing the runners!

#59996 June 20th, 2006 at 01:46 PM
Thanks I just might try that first before I go any bigger.

Link Copied to Clipboard