This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59974 May 23rd, 2006 at 05:12 AM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to use a steel tub to make an outside fireplace. I want to cut a square opening in the side to put in wood and place a steel grate on top for a pot.

I want to make it look like a round fireplace next to my cement patio. Does anyone know what I have to do to cover it with stones and cement? I want it to have a stone fireplace look. Any advice at all is welcomed.

That sounds like a good plan Tamara. Are you thinking round rocks or brick? I would imagine if you decided to go with the rounder rocks that once you set the base in the ground, you could work your way up, attaching the rocks with cement to the ones below. Would love to see pics of what you do and the process as it comes along.

tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm thinking of large stones and rocks. I just have no idea if the tub needs some kind of prep for the cement or what kind of cement to use. I plan on pouring a small cement pad under it first. Thanks Triss.

If you are going to do a pad, then you may not need to attach anything to the tub, just build around it.

If you are going to do a pad, then you may not need to attach anything to the tub, just build around it.
+++++++++++
I use an old washing machine tub in my yard for an outdoor fire and the above suggestion is probably the best. The metal will not allow the concrete to adhere well and once it gets hot the metal will expand at a different rate than the concrete. It will end up cracking. Leave a small gap and build around it for best results. Mine is an enamelled tub and i just cut some holes in the front and that's all. It sits on old bricks and i hide it in a garden come spring..

It's great for watching the stars and losing myself in thought on a cold night.

tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Longy, I was wondering about the adherance factor.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My husband uses an old truck tire rim thingie..
It's a good sized fire area too!!!!
And it has the built in holes too for good aeration..
*and it's on top of a ring of bricks..to keep
it up in the air more.*

#59981 June 27th, 2006 at 03:48 AM
F
F
I am using an old washing machine tub as a planter for my chinese fan plam: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/fritoxtreme/my%20plants/IM002209.jpg

to make it a fire pit, i wouldn't try to attach anything on the the side rather build a small retaining wall around it and put it on some concrete.

#59982 June 30th, 2006 at 03:34 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I love that Frito!!

I have an old washing machine barrel,
mine is metal I believe...
I am in the process of making mine into a planter, but it's on my "TO DO LIST" still..

Thanks for sharing that though..
Great idea...

well, if u wanna keep things together, gorrila glue works for anything!!! this might be a way to keep ur things together

Link Copied to Clipboard