This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59748 June 3rd, 2006 at 11:15 AM
R
OP Offline
R
So I'm killing a plant that most everyone else says is easy to grow! Almost all my leaves & stems have dried up and shrivveled & the stem became a bit gooey when I tried braeaking off the dead part....

I bought my purple passion at Home Depot. Brought it home and transplanted it fairly soon into a basic house plant mix and into a metal (copper?) pot. Perhaps this is the problem? doesn't like the metal? or it has sensitive roots that didn't take to the transplanting very well?
Also, (and this is probly waht did it) I sprayed it with a ivory soap & water mixture after I found some buggies on my other plants, in order to kill any that may have hopped on the P. passion. But I just now read that fuzzy leaved plants should not be sprayed. Did the soap kill it?
Well, however it happened, is there any hope for it? how should I try to revive it? it was practically overflowing from the pot I bought it in and now I have 2 leaves left! i have stopped with the spraying, and am keeping it in the best & most light I can & watering lightly every few days.
EEk help!
I can provide a picture if it might help anyone.
THanks!

#59749 June 3rd, 2006 at 02:04 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
It sounds like a gonner to me. But I have some rooted cuttings if you want to try again. The purple passion needs temperatures of 70*F, full sun, and to stay moist. You can't let it dry out. I've never sprayed mine so I can't tell you about that. Although I've also heard that fuzzy plants don't like it.

#59750 June 4th, 2006 at 02:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
next, more important question, does the metal pot you have it in have drainage? i think that with good light, and good drainage, you will be able to save it, but i'd stop the spraying.

#59751 June 6th, 2006 at 11:29 AM
R
OP Offline
R
hmmm.... the metal pot does not have a hole in the bottom. But I was told that if I put several rocks at the bottom of the pot before putting in the soil, the setup would act as a drain (granted I don't over-water).
Is this perhaps not sufficient?

THanks!

#59752 June 6th, 2006 at 12:52 PM
Rocks dont help because the transition causes the water to sit between the rocks and the soil causeing the soil to stay wet.

#59753 June 9th, 2006 at 07:37 PM
R
OP Offline
R
THanks!
I have replanted it into a pot with a drain. i'm going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

Link Copied to Clipboard