This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59123 June 25th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
P
Pete Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have planted outdoors a night blooming jasmine (cestrum nocturnum), and I have been battling a pest that quickly eats away new growth and leaves. The first time it happened, the plant was almost literally stripped in a matter of days while we were on vacation. Since then I have sprayed the plant with the highly toxic chemical Orthene in order to keep the pest in control.

Does anyone know what this pest could be and if there is another less toxic control I can use?

Thanks for your help. Duh

#59124 June 27th, 2006 at 12:52 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Actually Orthene is not all that toxic. I bet there are all sorts of things below your kitchen sink which are more toxic then that. I seriously doubt there is anything that stinks as bad as it though! shk

I am not sure what type of bug is targeting your plant, knowing that would help give you an answer of what would be effective. Can you give a discription or a picture?

#59125 June 28th, 2006 at 01:59 AM
If it's the same thing that was eating mine...it's some species of caterpillar. I control it with Sevin Dust. Dust the plants at the first sign of nibbling. I don't know about the toxicity of it-but it does the trick.

#59126 June 28th, 2006 at 04:30 AM
From the amount of damage I would guess some sort of catapillar is eating those new leaves. I bet the Orthene will stop that. I am a big fan of Orthenex, especially for my roses. It does stink, but is very effective. I sure am glad that Doc said it was not too toxic as I thought it might be as well. I guess the smell makes it seem as though it is very toxic. Pretty toxic to those pests though...

Link Copied to Clipboard