This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58517 July 24th, 2006 at 05:01 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I bet I didn't spell that right. Rhoddy's anyway.

Two mature Rhoddy bushes were recently put in our church landscape. Both have developed about 25% brown leaves and one entire branch appears to be dead. They used a weed barrier fabric of some kind and then a shredded bark mulch on top. Can someone please tell be what I need to do to help these plants survive the hot temperatures were are having. Like how often should they be watered and for how long. What kind of fertilizer and how often at what strenght. I mean I really need to know everything. Your help is greatly appreciated.

#58518 July 24th, 2006 at 05:34 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Most of my reply to your Azalea question applies to the Rhododendrons as well. Rhododendrons prefer shade over full sun and the brown leaves could very well be a case of serious sunburn. The dead branch was probably the result of damage during planting.
They need lots of water to get the roots established (I would be watering every other day until the heat wave ends)
Rhododendrons should be fertilized right after they finish blooming, but you should never fertilize any plant that is stressed or in shock!

General Rhododendron and Azalea care
Pruning Rhododendrons
Transplanting Rhododendrons
Rhody won\'t bloom
Rhody posts on The Gardener\'s Forum

#58519 July 26th, 2006 at 05:02 PM
O
O
Tammy, I fertilize rhododendrons with Holly-Tone, and they recommend fertilizing in both fall and spring. I have had great results following this schedule. The fall fertilizing is at half the strength of the spring fertilizing per the instructions on the bag. I have also fertilized with cottonseed meal just after bloom as Bill recommended.

#58520 July 27th, 2006 at 05:13 AM
Tammy, I also use Holly-Tone on Rhodos and Azaleas in conjunction with Miracle-gro for acid loving plants and they thrive on it. Rhodos are well known for showing stress in their leaves and will wilt, turn yellow and/or brown when stressed out. They also do not like windy conditions, so take that into account. I also live in va. and this has been a very mild summer except for that two week period. It has also been a very wet summer so far. That was a pretty late spring planting for rhodos and they are probably just stressed and as Bill pointed out, in need of some root growth. Make sure they are mulched in really good with some fine pine bark as they have really fine root hairs at the soil level. I would use some of the Miracle-gro for acid loving plants as it is a fast acting Foliar feed and will help right away. You dont get much new growth after the end of june, so you are basically trying to get the roots developed. Make sure it is mulched really heavy in the fall to help it make it through the winter. Best of luck, Budman-

#58521 July 27th, 2006 at 07:50 PM
I also use the Miracle-gro for acid loving plants, but I've never heard of Holly-Tone! Duh Should I be using that too? Duh I certainly think mine could look better than it does. frown

#58522 July 28th, 2006 at 12:17 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks for the product names of the fertilizers. That will help alot. And the foliar spray information. I never knew that about the roots on a rhody. But you definitely described the way the leaves are looking. So we know we've got the correct diagnosis.

#58523 July 28th, 2006 at 03:26 AM
O
O
Patches, I don't use the Miracle-gro, but I swear by Holly-Tone. I used to pick off all the seed heads on my Rodies cause they wouldn't bloom well the following year, otherwise. But now, I get such healthy and vigorous new growth and budding, I don't need to anymore. I just checked my White Peter rhododendron, and it has multiple flower buds forming on new growth above each seed head. I'm going to have mega-blooms next year!! My Scintillation and Nova Zembla are doing just as well. thumbup

#58524 July 28th, 2006 at 05:29 AM
The Holly-tone is more of a slow release fertilzer and is a great product. I have been using it for over twenty years with great results. The main reason I suggested the Miracle-Gro is that it is very fast acting and absorbs into the plant through the leaves if you pour it right over the top of the plant. It will also absorb through the roots. The holly-tone will not start working until it breaks down into the soil when watering or during a rain. On healthy plants I always pull the mulch away in the early spring and add a cup or two of Holly-tone. I push the mulch back over the base so as not to allow those fine root hairs to get dry. I do it again in the middle of June. I use a five gallon bucket and put four spoon fulls in it and fill with water. I pour that over a large Rhodo or Azalea or use one bucket on three smaller shrubs. I do this twice a year about a week before I put the Holly-tone down. It gives a nice quick pick me up after a long winter as my Azalea/rhodos sometimes look a little rough early on. They soon come on strong after that.

#58525 July 28th, 2006 at 08:12 AM
Thanks for the information Terry & Budman! Duh

#58526 July 29th, 2006 at 03:13 AM
O
O
I don't, that was Budman.

#58527 July 29th, 2006 at 03:59 AM
Patches, I use it on Rhodos about twice in the spring, same as the Holly-Tone. I put it on in the early spring, say Early April and then again in early June and then I dont use it anymore. If a plant is looking poor, I reduce the rate by half and use it every two weeks until the plant starts looking better.

#58528 July 30th, 2006 at 09:19 AM
Thanks Budman! Duh Sorry I got you mixed up with Terry! shocked frown

#58529 July 30th, 2006 at 02:29 PM
R
R
Holly-tone is an acidic fertilizer for evergreens. It is more predominant in some states than others.

Miracid is also an acidic fertilizer for evergreens. I always used that in WV as the state did not have HT in any of my local stores.

I prefer not to use Miracle-Gro. It is like 'plant crack'. plants become dependent on it & decline if not used.

#58530 August 1st, 2006 at 04:16 AM
Yep, thats why I only use it about twice a year in the spring. Just to give the plants a boost. I dont like to give it to them more than that as it also tends to encourage fungal growth and we dont want that.
To answer your question Patches, I would use it at half rate once just to see if it helps, but not more than that as you dont want to encourage new growth as it may not make it through the winter.

#58531 August 1st, 2006 at 06:36 PM
Thanks Budman! Duh If we don't get some relief from this heat pretty soon I'm not sure any of my plants are going to survive. frown

#58532 August 2nd, 2006 at 04:00 AM
I heard that!!! I just went out for my daily afternoon walk and it was 104 degrees outside. Whew, at least the humidity was up..Ha,ha. Everytime I get home my hanging baskets and railing planters are all dried up and the plants look so pathetic. It is amazing how quickly they respond to some watering. If I miss one day, they will be cooked. Take care.

Link Copied to Clipboard