This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58493 April 1st, 2006 at 12:33 AM
Mr. Radio
OP Offline
Mr. Radio
I had an interesting question come up on my radio show. A listener wanted to know if a copper trellis placed in full sun with a southern exposure would conduct too much heat to grow vines on.

I know a penny laying on the ground will get pretty hot during the summer, but this would be up in the air where it could cool off. Has anyone had any experience themselves?

#58494 April 1st, 2006 at 07:03 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
No experience with them, but if the vine grew
reasonable fast enough, and had leaves that would cover the metal, and stayed so the leaves were first to recieve the sun and shade the metal,
I doubt it would get thattttttttt hot to bother the plant..

And most, fast growing vines, are from Southern areas and should like heat..

I might not grow up a sweet pea on it, as it likes it cooler... but the right vine seems like it would work....

Is the copper trellis standing on it's own,
with good air flow or standing up against say like a building where the building heat would be on the back side of it???????
Very curious.... Duh

#58495 April 1st, 2006 at 08:15 AM
Mr. Radio
OP Offline
Mr. Radio
I think it is right off the side of a house with a southern exposer from what the caller was saying. I suggested to paint a wooden one with copper colored spray paint, just in case. But still interested in anyone elses 1st hand experience.

#58496 April 1st, 2006 at 10:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since this isn't dealing with a specific plant or flower I'm moving it to the landscape trials and triumphs..... wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard