This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58259 June 25th, 2006 at 03:08 AM
OP Offline
What causes those lil worms that ruin the leaves?! They (the worms) are not in all of my Canna's either. Duh

Is there something I am doing wrong? Maybe getting the leaves wet w/lawn sprinkler? ters

#58260 June 25th, 2006 at 04:59 AM
Hi Terri. That critter is called something like a canna leaf folder or leaf tier. They don't do a lot of damage or kill the plant, but they can make it look ugly. I have a similar worm attacking my grapevine. I just open the leaves and crush 'em. Most poisons won't penetrate the leaves, but you could use either Dipel dust or Thuricide liquid concentrate to get them before they get the leaves folded. These products are bacillus thurengiensis, a bacteria that's only toxic to caterpillars, and very safe to use. You could try Neem oil or pyrethrin, but like I say, I'm not sure how well it would penetrate. They're not eating the flowers themselves, are they?

#58261 June 26th, 2006 at 01:41 AM
OP Offline
Hiya Dave!

No they are not eating the actual flowers BUT it seems that they get a hold of the last leaf to open before the bloom-part is revealed. Result: Brown (burnt looking even! ters

#58262 June 26th, 2006 at 03:41 AM
Hmmm. I don't know if watering could have anything to do with it, but something must make them more attractive than the others.

#58263 June 26th, 2006 at 03:55 AM
OP Offline
I monitor them just about every other day-ish.

There I am with my face down in the Canna's, trusty scissors in hand, ready to cut those weird lil 'stitches'...the neighbors have already decided that I'm a lil nutz ! LOL!

So what attack mode are you using on your grapevine pests? Curious minds wanna know lala

#58264 June 26th, 2006 at 12:19 PM
Hey Terri...the Canna Leaf Rollers can be a royal pain in the patoot and turn a gorgeous plant into a ratty looking mess. lol! You can get rid of them but it takes persistance.

Here's a great website with instructions that should help you out...seems to be written especially for Texas gardeners. :-)

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/f&b_11.htm

#58265 June 27th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
OP Offline
OMG! Rosie!!!

Thank you so very much! That site is the BOMB of info! flw

#58266 June 27th, 2006 at 02:57 AM
OP Offline
Here's the rub:

These caterpillars are the larvae of the large brown skipper butterfly . The female butterfly lays her eggs on the leaves of canna. After developing into caterpillars, they spin silk thread and roll themselves inside the edge of the leaves, forming a tube. They feed on the leaf inside the tube as they pupate.
I have a gazillion of these around here! sca
[Linked Image]
AND!
One mistake that canna growers make is to leave the old dead growth on the canna bed as a mulch. As canna seems to be the only host plant for this pest, it may be possible to drastically reduce the Lesser Canna Leaf Roller population just by removing dead leaves and stems in the winter after the frost has killed back the foliage.
I did remove the dead growth THIS year and the 'rollers' were much more abundant than last year....things that make ya go "Hhmmmmmm...", I'll tell ya.

These Duskywings seem to like this Hackberry tree (local's call it that) in the front yard.

This is "A Series of Unfortunate Events"..Scurry, TX style :rolleyes:

#58267 June 27th, 2006 at 07:42 AM
I'm glad you found some answers, Terri. Those are beautiful little Skippers BTW. :-)

#58268 June 28th, 2006 at 12:15 AM
I've had less problems with the leaf rollers,but I use neem once a month on my whole beds& the cannas are in the path.I DO see those skipper butterflys.

In TX we have to watch when we spray neem cause the sun will fry it on the plants makeing them look ugly.I spray in the evening,but still with time for drying(like 7ish).
I been growing out some of my canna seeds this year.I got excited last week.a purple leafed one!(If they fresh...ya don't gotta soak cause the mix they start in is keept moist.)

#58269 June 28th, 2006 at 03:02 AM
OP Offline
Purple! I love purple! I don't believe I have ever seen a purple one! flw

I would love to see a pic of yours someday njoynit!

#58270 June 29th, 2006 at 07:51 AM
If ya look in my yahoo albulm will be a shot there somewheres with it in bloom summer 2005 albulm.I've just had the one seed pop up purple leafed.I think my purle leafed austrilia canna did set seeds.I think journeys end is going to be a sparse seed setter.I only got 1 last year and just 2 this time and the other 3 stalks have not set any.

I know where you live now scurry.near kaufman laugh We sometimes go fishing up lake fork off 19 outside of Emory .Its Yantis,but not for all utilities(so backwoods...lol)BIL said waters way down up there right now. I'm not certain,but believe are only 5 purple leafed cannas.I've searched them up quiet a bit. so none of yours are seed setters????????????

#58271 June 30th, 2006 at 02:36 AM
OP Offline
Hmmm.... Duh I'm not reeeal sure I know what a 'seed setter' would be if it bit me! LOL!

Mine are the bright yellow flowered ones. They have a really nice lighter shade of green foilage.

Now they do 'make' alot of new ones! I now have them nearly everywhere in the front! I believe they would grow in the street if I threw them out there laugh !

I always thought they were a bulb plant idea
I would love to get some more colors...just never think about it @ 'gettin' time smile

#58272 June 30th, 2006 at 09:20 AM
hmmm.....I don't have a yellow one.

I have florance vaughn.It will grow taller in a pond& about 4 ft in ground.
http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

I have this indica type.IT makes seeds clp
They don't carry the one I have....BUT it looks like this& although you can't notice the orange stripe on the red ....my stripe is yellow on orange.

and I have these.Bengal tiger

#58273 June 30th, 2006 at 09:41 AM
OP Offline
Those are VERY cool!
Mine are like the Yellow Humbert
[Linked Image]
except that the leaves always extend above the blooms and the fact that I really never noticed any 'red spots' either....

Link Copied to Clipboard