This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
So, you started an african violet leaf, it rooted, and now you have babies! flw

First, this is a picture of "mouse ears", a newly emerged baby...

[Linked Image]

Here's one of a little older baby...

[Linked Image]

And a tray full of rooted leaves. Can you spot the babies?

[Linked Image]

AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Now, when the a few of the baby's leaves get AT LEAST the size of a dime, it's time to separate them and give them their own pot.

Here's a pot full of babies...the mother leaf was removed a few weeks ago. You have two choices with the mother leaf...you can either cut it away when the babies are of good size, and let them continue to grow for another week or two, OR you can separate the mother leaf and babies all at the same time, and use the mother leaf again. It's up to you.

[Linked Image]

Looks like a big clump, right?

[Linked Image]

But, if you slowly start to sort the leaves, and trace them back to where they begin from, you can start to see how many babies you have...

[Linked Image]

AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
If you start to tug very gently, the baby and it's roots will start to pull away from the rest...

[Linked Image]

Continue separating babies, and tugging them apart...

[Linked Image]

Until you get them all separate...

[Linked Image]

AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Make sure you label and date the pot the baby will be going into, and then plant it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
The dime is there for leaf size comparisons...

This group of babies is actually a little smaller than I normally separate them, but I needed a model. laugh

Any questions? Can I make anything clearer? Duh

Great job Sarah!

Question... What is the soil mix you are using for the babies? When did this mommy get planted? And how long will they stay in the new planter. Ok so that was a lot of questions.

AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
I use the same soil mix for babies that I do for the leaves, because their roots are not fully developed, and I don't want to drown them, or let them get too dry.

This mommy was planted a few months ago, but I didn't write the date on the pot, so I'm not certain of the date. shocked Let this be a lesson...ALWAYS date your pots!

Depending on the time of year, because they grow slower during the winter, they will be in these pots for 2 to 3 months.

I'm soooo impressed, Sarah!
Can't wait for the stores to start getting plants in again here...

AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Thanks, Lynne! It really is a lot of fun when the babies first sprout. thumbup

Thanks for posting all of this great information Barley. thumbup The pics sure are a great help to a gourd head like me!!

Robert

Naz Offline
Wow lala , you got three new plants from one leaf I definitely got to try growing them now

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Okay new at the posting images thing, sorry. The above plants I just bought on ebay. I think, though after reading the posts that I may have spent to much. It was about $50 for the above 7 plants including shipping. Is that a lot for these? I guess they are mostly all different types. Do they look good and healthy? Any tips for when I re-pot them? I'd like to put the in an "indoor" window box together. Is that okay? Any tips for picking out the box. Thanks for the soil tips. Should I use fertilizer? When should I expect to get blooms? Thanks!

Well I would say it was too much, I paid $3 for a plant with blooms from Wal Mart. And what you have is what appears to be something someone started from leaf cuttings...But to late now. If you haven't done so go back and read the threads about starting them it answers alot of your questions here is the link:

Starting Afican Violets 101
and continued here:
African Violets 101 Part b

Hi Newbie,

Welcome to the forum! The plants look pretty good! The last one has a couple of dry spots, but aside from that it looks good too. I would give it a week and let them settle into their new environment. Then I woudl gently seperate them into their own pots. Make sure the pots are small as Av's like to be root bound. Looks like you may get 2-3 plantlets from a couple of the pots. Did you pay to much? I don't think so. You have named violets( not noids), that are healthy. It takes the grower time and effort to make sure the plants are healthy. And time for packing and shipping.

Good luck with your new babies.

Shirl

Okay, just got back from home depot! Wow, I think this forum is as addictive as my new planting habit. Well anyway not sure if I bought the right stuff let me know.

1. 2 - 12" Window Box (it's about 5" tall and ceramic)

2. 2 - 24" Window Box (it's about 7" tall and white plastic)

I know these boxes are bigger, but I was wanting to put more than one plant in each. How many av's should I put in the 12"? If it is just to big is there a way to use it and maybe fill the bottom so not to use up the whole pot? I was thinking about using the 24" for the coleus for now.

3. 1 - Bag of Scotts Perlite

4. 1 - Bag of Scotts Potting Soil (added phosphorus)

So from what I gathered on the forums I should mix 1/2 perlite and half potting soil together. Is the phosphorus a problem? I couldn't seem to find any just plain potting soil. I found an african violet food but the hdepot lady said it wasn't needed because of the soil. But she also said she didn't know much about planting right before, what do you guys think?

I found these great redwood boxes and had them in my cart I was even going to stain them a darker wood to match my furniture and I got to the front and the wanted $20 each. So out they want and in came the $6 white plastic ones. Just couldn't do it right now maybe later. The ceramic one are gorgeous! The have blue and yellow flowers on them and are just perfect! Although a little worried about witting them on the window sills for fear they might fall. I guess I should get little tables to put in front of the windows to put them on. Boy it adds up fast, I think I'm up to almost $200 spent so far.

Gosh, I must be a pain. Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are a real help. You're like my new gardening buddies! Thanks!

Hey there newbie. I would use the planters but keep your AV's in the pots they are already in. Just put something in the bottom of the planters to keep the AV's up to the top edge. Then maybe some moss to hide the containers. AV's do like to be rootbound so the smaller containers are good for them. I just got a bunch of babies from Sarah and here is what I did with them. They are all still in their containers, but now "hidden" in prettier containers.

[Linked Image]

clp Great Idea! What did you use at the bottom of the containers? Also, where do I find moss?

My little containers fit right in the bigger ones and the "lips" of the containers keep them from falling in. Spanish moss (I think it is called) can be found in most craft stores. I think I want to set a few of my remaining AV's in a small basket and will fill it with moss to hold them up.

is the moss alive or fake?

hmmmm I have no idea. It may have been at one time, but it is decorative and does not grow to my knowledge.

JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Morning all Triss has your leaves done anything yet? Mine look just like they did when I first started them. All look healthy but not seeming to do (edited)(better correct that)anything. Sarah is this normal? Been a month now and still all the same.
Jimmy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard