This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5677 June 16th, 2006 at 10:56 AM
BeckyB Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone have a good recipe for cabbage rolls?
I'm also looking for a dirt cake recipe.

#5678 June 16th, 2006 at 12:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've got one for cabbage rolls...you'll have to wait until i locate it tho (and i'm at work at the moment).

never heard of dirt cake...

#5679 June 16th, 2006 at 06:49 PM
Hi Becky! wavey

I haven't seen you around lately. frown I've got a an excellent recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls, but the Polish people call them Golumki. Since I haven't made them for a while, I'll try to look it up tomorrow. wink

#5680 June 21st, 2006 at 03:24 AM
Dirt Cake

Ingredients:
1 c. powdered sugar
2 large instant vanilla pudding
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. butter, softened
3 -1/2 c. milk
1 pkg. Oreo's
8 oz. Cool whip

Instructions:
Crush cookies to dirt in either blender or food processor.
Set aside.
Cream butter, cheese & sugar.
Mix pudding & milk according to instructions.
Add cream cheese mixture to pudding
Fold in cool whip.
Layer cookies, then filling, ending with cookies on top. Refrigerate

#5681 June 21st, 2006 at 05:04 AM
Mom's Cabbage Roll's
Becky I googled this, hope this helps although it says in a dutch oven Duh

1 Large head of cabbage
1 to 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup instant rice or cooked rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground Black pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon. divided (more or less, to taste)
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) tomato soup undiluted
1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes

PREPARTAION:

Tear the leaves off the cabbage and cook in boiling water or steam until wilted enough to be flexible. Cool. Mix ground Beef,rice,egg,onion, and salt,pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together.
Form a few tablespoons of the mixture into a cylinder, then roll up in a cabbage leaf. Secure rools with toothpicks. Combine the soup and tomatoes in a Dutch oven. Place cabbage rolls in the Dutch oven. Sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Serves 6. grinnnn

#5682 June 22nd, 2006 at 06:40 AM
Thats pretty much how i make them and if i am feeling really lazy, i just throw it all in a pot and cook them and its a cabbage casserole instead and just as yummy!

#5683 July 14th, 2006 at 03:39 AM
I found a lot of recipes, but not the one I wanted...I handed the printout to a friend...try going to cooks.com and searching there...

#5684 July 14th, 2006 at 01:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm sorry!!! i never got to this!! it's a very easy recipe.

i always just eyeball things when it comes to measurements - so sorry for the kind of vagueness on that smile (my great-grandmom cooked the same way...this is here recipe)

you'll need a large head of cabbage - tear off the leaves and drop into a large pot of boiling water. just long enough that they wilt a bit. remove and let drain in a colander.

while you're doing that, brown some ground beef (about a pound) in a small amount of olive oil (a couple of tablespoons) - you can spice it with garlic (fresh crushed or powder) and onion (fresh chopped or powder) and some salt and pepper. i sometimes throw some basil in too.

you'll also need some rice - about 4 cups - and some tomato sauce. either jarred, canned or your own homemade stuff. just plain stuff, marinara style. or just plain sauce (canned).

and a large caserole dish or dutch oven.

when the beef is done, drain if necessary and mix with the rice in a large bowl. you want the mix to be more meat than rice, so don't put all the rice in at one time smile mix in half and if you need more, add it. anything left over can be frozen (reheat in microwave. just dribble with a bit of water and heat on high for a couple of minutes, mix and heat another minute and it'll be like it was just cooked).

put some sauce in the bottom of the baking pan (so they don't stick) and then take a leaf and spoon in the meat/rice mix (about a tablespoon - maybe a little more if the leaf is really big and less if the leaf is smaller). place the meat at the end opposite of where it was connected to the core and then roll the leaf up. roll once and then tuck the sides in and continue rolling. place in the pan with the lose edge up. continue filling the leaves and placing them in the dish. once you get a layer done you put some of the sauce on top. do as many layers as you need and make sure to put some sauce in between each and end with sauce on top (you don't need to completely drench with the sauce, you just want to add some moisture so nothing dries out).

cover the dish and then bake at 375 until the sauce is bubbly...you can stick a knife in one of the rolls in the center of the dish to make sure it's heated through.

you can add some sauce to the meat mix too, if you want. even a small can of stewed tomatoes.

once cooked, they can be frozen in plastic containers and reheated in the microwave...they're great for bringing in to work for lunch.

Link Copied to Clipboard