This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56507 August 24th, 2006 at 09:35 AM
OP Offline
I have 4 passion flower plants growing and 1 is finally putting on some flower buds. Does this plant self-pollinate? I'm not entirely sure what to expect seed-wise. Will I get a passion fruit from these flowers and the seeds be in there or do they produce a seperate seed pod? Thanks!

#56508 August 25th, 2006 at 04:01 AM
Hi LandOfOz,

Cool name wink , especially since you are from Kansas!

What colors are your passion flowers? I have seen white, red, and purple. Do you have them in pots or ground? Facing in which direction? Watch out for caterpillars as Monarchs and Gulf Fritillaries love those plants. It's how I first became acquainted with passion flowers. Several years back, I grew a purple passion flower in the ground and put it in for a small butterfly garden. This plant just took off to the point where I pulled the vines to the front of my house and hooked up wire trellises on the front of my house. Didn't have a digital at the time ters , could have had some great pics as it was a spectacular sight. We had a hard freeze that year and I lost them. I had previously had the vine for several years!

I do remember having seed pods but not sure about the passion fruit. Sure wish I would have kept those pods. sca Want to put down more passionflowers and hopefully soon.

Stephanie

#56509 August 25th, 2006 at 05:35 AM
Patty, here's some good info about the Passion Flower.

#56510 August 25th, 2006 at 05:51 AM
OP Offline
I'm not sure what color my passion flowers are going to be--they have buds but no blooms. I have 4 volunteer plants from my neighbor who has both purple and blue. They are planted in a flowerbed on the west side of my home. They get partial sun (probably around 5-7 hours of direct light). I keep them moist and lightly mulched. These send down such a long tap root that I'm not sure how they could be grown in containers!!

Tulsa, thanks for the link but I'd already checked it out. I am wondering if I could collect seeds so I could plant more of these next year. I sounds like the seeds are in the fruit. However, my neighbor swears that he didn't get any fruits last year but there are plants coming up all over his yard!! So there must've been seed from somewhere.

#56511 August 25th, 2006 at 09:31 AM
Sarah, do a Google search for "Passion flower propagation." I think getting seeds depends on the type of plant you have...I can't remember for sure what I've read. As for harvesting seeds, you probably won't need to worry about it with four plants in place. They'll be sending up runners all over the place and you can just transplant them. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard