This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56496 January 13th, 2005 at 07:44 AM
T
thorns Offline OP
OP Offline
T
has anyone had sucess with growing vanilla orchids. i've killed two already and really would prefer not to have the third suffer any more than necessary. any help will be most appreciated. thanks

#56497 February 21st, 2006 at 09:58 AM
O
O
my vanilla lasted 3+ years
and died when I had to leave it with a friend for 4 months while I was on the east coast.
They like warm humid environment and a lot of indirect light. I created a humidity box using 1/8 inch Plexiglas glued together and with a lift off lid. It had a 'pool of water' to help with humidity. they like to climb so at least to start provide support then they cling to the plexi. they can grow in light soil.

I've been looking for a replacement for my vanilla but my local orchid grower/seller got bought out by a housing development.

Vanilla has to get very large to produce flowers.

#56498 February 22nd, 2006 at 05:51 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That is soooooo tempting. But I don't think I am ready for orchids yet.

#56499 February 22nd, 2006 at 03:09 PM
Tammy, don't think that way! Orchids are really NOT that hard, trust me! You mainly just have to "think outside the box" & NOT keep them in water! (They DO need moisture, but letting the roots stand in water constantly can cause root rot. PRETTY WEIRD, HUH? shk ) I'm a rookie at Orchid keeping, but I've gotten several "dumped into my lap" since November, & they've been blooming for me & I haven't killed any yet!

I don't know enough about the different types of Orchids, to fill a thimble, but I know that there are literally HUNDREDS of types! Only owning 4 out of those hundreds, I'm not sure how their care varies from type to type, & don't know that I know which one would be the Vanilla orchid.

(Thorns, or Orchidss, do either of you happen to have a photo of a Vanilla Orchid that you can post here?)

#56500 April 8th, 2006 at 10:38 PM
anyone growing vanilla orchid and would like to share cuttings with me, please email me.

thanks
dave

Your email address has been edited for your own privacy...

#56501 April 11th, 2006 at 08:24 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I think I would truly love to have one of the vanilla orchids but I can't afford to buy one.

#56502 April 11th, 2006 at 08:30 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
David,
I edited your email address off of your post...
for your own protection and privacy on the internet...
That way, only the people you want specifically to have your email address, can have it... kissies

And Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way, we've got a great lil place here, stick around and pull up a chair..

Link Copied to Clipboard