This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55389 August 12th, 2006 at 03:10 PM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by weezie13:
Heyyyyyyy, we should start a new thread
on "HOW OUTTA CONTROL OUR GARDENS' ARE!!!"
Ok..Mine is so out of control, And its too late for the tiller. I am guilty of not mulching this year. I had instead intended to use my little row cultivator, which I did for quite sometime...But shocked shocked shocked I got lazy or I mean busy and told myself I'll get after it tomorrow...Well we all know what happens when it comes to waiting until tomorrow. So tell us all about how out of control your garden is.

#55390 August 12th, 2006 at 03:48 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My weeds are taller than the raised beds...
andddddd the woodchucks has been eating everything to nub's...
Plus, I've boobie~trapped every avenue in or out, but they are still getting in..
(I sooooooooooo need a fence eek )

I left some veggies on one section of the garden beds, and of course, they sprouted and I'm a suckker for pulling out volunteers, and I have a masssssssive amounts of vines from Yellow Squash, Acorn, and Butternut Squash's rampling all over the place..
(Cantaloupe's too)

I never got out and pulled any of the 100+ volunteer cherry tomatoes and they're allllll over the place..

And I haven't weeded the large acorn patch that
the Woodchucks are feasting on, on a regular snack...

My pumpkin is out in the lawn, and tomato plants are falling over and I still have plants in 6pks. shocked :rolleyes: eek perpl lala

#55391 August 12th, 2006 at 04:49 PM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh Weezie... thumbup

#55392 August 13th, 2006 at 12:41 AM
I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My weeds have taken over, I am going to take the weedeater to mine today and if I take something I want, I guess that's to bad.

I have Morning Glories everywhere, I plan to Roundup them.

#55393 August 13th, 2006 at 01:36 AM
I've actually been keeping up with the weeding...BUT...you should see my garden! It's a mess. Everything is WAAAAYYYY too close together. I can't get at my cucumbers..they're buried somewhere. perpl I have 4 different varieties of tomatoes and when I pick one..I have to follow the stem to find out what plant it came from. nutz No joke!! I will take a pic and post it as soon as I go outside.

#55394 August 13th, 2006 at 01:58 AM
Okay..here's a few pics.

This picture gives you an idea how close together I planted the tomatoes. There's 5 plants in this pic! thumbup

So..you see..my garden is outta' control!!

#55395 August 13th, 2006 at 01:59 AM
Correction...as I looked again at the top pic..I see I got the entire raised bed in the pic..which means 8 plants!

#55396 August 13th, 2006 at 04:32 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Oh Weezie... I am so surprised. About the woodchuck..is that the same thing as a groundhog???
I believe they are....
I had a momma have 5 babies here this summer.
She and daddy are stillllll here, and so are several of her brewd.
(I know at least one is gone, as we started the van the one day, and it was in the engine and got doink to d#@th!!!

Those critters are sooooooo bad...I've been cutting wild rose canes and wild blackraspberry canes and laying them down for boobie~traps..
Most work, until they find a new section..
*I have a big garden area..*
I wish Santa would bring me a big roll of fencing. wink

**Christina,
I've probably asked this, but I am forgetful theses last thrawls of summer here, did you use a bagged soil for your dirt? I thought you'd said yes before..
(if I'm wrong correct me)
but most of those bagged soils have a nitrogen base fert in them now adays.. which means lush,
green new growth... ... meaning, lot's of green..

I just woke up too, was hoping to embarrass myself enough with some pictures.. but didn't get out there..

#55397 August 13th, 2006 at 04:41 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Amigatec:
I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My weeds have taken over
Um, I think if anyone in this world had weeds like you say, not one soul should look down on you for having an "Outta control garden"..
YOUUUUUUU have got your hands quite fullllllllll!
And then some..

You know sometimes us gardeners see some of these gardens in magazines and stuff, and feel they have to be perfect, just like the ones we see... but we forget that there's a teammmmm of people working behind the scenes to keep those gardens like they are..
My "TEAM", it me, myself and I...
And the 3 of us are pooped!! wink wink laugh

#55398 August 13th, 2006 at 05:34 AM
My zucc are out of controll!! they over ran my beans (which are now dead thanks to that) and my tomatoes have not produced ONE tomato as of yet, the zucc plant has shadowed most of them as well. eek
The upside to this is that I have enough zucchinni to give to everyone on my block,every member of my family, and still eat it every night. My mother-in-law told me they grow like weeds, but I think they even killed off the weeds!! lol

I do need to mow what lawn is left around this monster, and till the dirt around it, but where to start....lol idea

#55399 August 13th, 2006 at 05:57 AM
My veggie garden-the weeds were so tall that I first took the weed eater thru the rows, and now I use the lawn mower weekly to keep the weeds short!! My corn is pathetic-knee high at best and the weeds between those rows are taller. I have to search thru the weeds to find my cucumbers!! I have managed to keep the "blocks" of veggies weed free, but the rows now look like the lawn after I cut it. Looks kind of neat actually...

#55400 August 13th, 2006 at 06:55 AM

.....got doink to d#@th!!!
Is this a new word?? laugh laugh laugh

#55401 August 13th, 2006 at 07:02 AM
[b] I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My weeds have taken over
Um, I think if anyone in this world had weeds like you say, not one soul should look down on you for having an "Outta control garden"..
YOUUUUUUU have got your hands quite fullllllllll!
And then some..
[/b]
Yes I do stay pretty busy.

You know sometimes us gardeners see some of these gardens in magazines and stuff, and feel they have to be perfect, just like the ones we see... but we forget that there's a teammmmm of people working behind the scenes to keep those gardens like they are..
My "TEAM", it me, myself and I...
And the 3 of us are pooped!! wink wink laugh
Yea it an 'it and all like it is on TV. If I had the money to hire staff, I would be on Victory Gardens too!!! grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn

#55402 August 13th, 2006 at 07:17 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!

[b].....got doink to d#@th!!!
Is this a new word?? laugh laugh laugh [/b]
Should have been DOINKED TO D#@TH!!

Yes that's a word I've used for like... everrr...
Doink

*as in he got doinked over the head* wink

#55403 August 13th, 2006 at 02:15 PM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Well it helps alittle to know that there are others who's gardens are out of control. It is so strange how just in one weeks time that things can get so out of control...beyond control, then if it happens to rain...forget it. My remedy at this point to is to harvest what I can and pull the rest that is pretty well done in...Then try to till what I can, my beans got bean rust, so they are done...Good deal I had all I wanted canned already, those blister bugs striped the potato plants, so I went ahead and dug what potatoes there was, then I tried to dig all the onions, which I lost the row for about 3 foot (too many weeds), so probable didn't get all of them, but most of them....I can now clean up 1/3 of my garden. I know the feeling weezie...My "TEAM", it's me, myself and I...And the 3 of us are pooped!! DH got a little upset about the state of the garden, I told him...Next year you take care of it then...He said ok, then you go to work in my place laugh laugh laugh I wouldn't last one day where he works and he wouldn't last one day in the garden working either. frown

#55404 August 13th, 2006 at 02:53 PM
J
J
If by OUTTA CONTROL you mean tomato plants that have out-grown 5 and 6 foot tall cages and are now growing down the sides of them....then yes....I'm guilty too.
I do have fruit to show that I'll post in the4 other thread.

#55405 August 13th, 2006 at 03:22 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I know the feeling weezie...My "TEAM", it's me, myself and I...And the 3 of us are pooped!! DH got a little upset about the state of the garden,

I told him...Next year you take care of it then...He said ok, then you go to work in my place I wouldn't last one day where he works and he wouldn't last one day in the garden working either.
I know that feeling very well...
I tell him, HE holds' me up alot of time...
*I'll ask him for some 8ft stakes, and I'd like them in about the same time when I plant the tomotoes *so he's not trying to stake them when they're putting out roots...* yeah, okay..
*I can't remember the last time he helped with the stakes.. this year, I didn't even bother doing it myself either..* :rolleyes: *

But I will tell you, I found a couple of
"CEMENT CAGE'S" *The one's that are made out of the wire re~inforcement stuff for cement. kissies

#55406 August 13th, 2006 at 03:26 PM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
John I think that would fit the description of OUT OF CONTROL laugh laugh laugh

Oh I forgot to mention another critter I encountered in my weedy garden today....It was a black snake, shk at least if it had to be a snake..it was a good snake. I can't stand snakes, I had the hoe in my hand and was ready to whack its head off, but them I closed my eyes and when I opened them it was heading out the fence. I have chickens and a black snake is a threat to my eggs and baby chicks if I had any...So I am really glad it decided to leave for the moment. Maybe it will eat every bug in there laugh laugh laugh

#55407 August 14th, 2006 at 02:01 AM
I think my garden would take the top of this list!

Check this out!!! laugh
[Linked Image]

It should say "rotten tomatoes" or "bug infested" tomatoes! There's also a cherry tomato plant in the back somewhere. I also found a cuke vine on the left side of the carrots! My poor plants haven't been able to keep up with all the heat. I usually give buckets of veggies away to anyone that will take them, but this year I didn't even produce enough for a decent meal for myself!

Oh, yeah, I also recently took the tiller through there!!! Can you tell?!? perpl

#55408 August 14th, 2006 at 03:22 AM
Things that did good:

First weeds and grass DID REAL GOOD.
Those darn Morning Glories are thriving!!!!

My tomatoes did real good.
I still have Brussels Sprouts to pick.
My cabbage did good this year, as did my sweet peas.
My potatoes did good, as well as my peppers.
Strawberries did real good.
Asparagus did good, but came up so quick I didn't get to pick any.

Things that did bad:
Most of what I planted early didn't do anything, lettuce, radishes, beets, and spinach (I did pick a little spinach).
The bugs ate up all my squash, zucchini, and cucumbers.
Garlic and Shallots, didn't do anything most died.

Things that did ok:
My green beans did ok, but not outstanding like last year.
My onions didn't make this year, most were small.
My watermelons, and cantaloupe are not doing well either.

Things still in the garden:
Sweet Corn, nor looking good either.
Orka, I am just starting to pick.

In a couple of weeks I will have a week off, and am going to remove most of what is out there.

#55409 August 14th, 2006 at 03:09 PM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Tomorrow I will try to get a picture of mine...

CajunMama: No one is laughing at your garden or if they are laughing it because they can relate. Wait until you see mine.

Things that did well:

-Green beans did well until they got bean rust.
-Okra has done very good with huge stalks, I already have a freezer full so am going to quit picking it and let some dry for seeds.
-Cucumbers have done very well and I have given tons away and could still harvest tons more.
-Bell peppers and Jalapenos have done well
-Cantaloupes have done great and very sweet and juicy
-Watermelons have done fairly good.

Things that didn't do as well as expected:

-potatoes rotted in the ground from too much rain early in the season, my harvest was not very good.
-Tomatoes have produced alot, but for the amount of plants I have they should have done better, but had an aphid problem early
-Onions were small like Pats also
-Squash was taken over by bugs early and all efforts to get rid of the bugs failed

I still have carrots to harvest and from what I have seen they should be a good harvest on them.

#55410 August 14th, 2006 at 11:27 PM
I had the hoe in my hand and was ready to whack its head off
Don't you mean.."Doink it to death" ! laugh

#55411 August 14th, 2006 at 11:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
thumbup wink laugh

#55412 August 15th, 2006 at 01:22 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
I had the hoe in my hand and was ready to whack its head off
Don't you mean.."Doink it to death" ! laugh
:p laugh laugh laugh
Yep samething...I wanted to doink it to death!

#55413 August 15th, 2006 at 04:57 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok..get ready to laugh laugh laugh

This first one is of where the patch use to be to the right [Linked Image]
My melons are here: [Linked Image]
And here is the view from the other end...if you look close you might see where the carrots are on the lower left: [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard