This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54236 May 10th, 2006 at 12:42 PM
matoaka Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm a newbie, and I have a question about a rose of Sharon bush that is foundering in my "new-to-me" back yard.

I'm in arid, high desert country (7a). This is the only shrub in the back yard. It's only getting about 2 hours of direct sun due to encroaching shade trees. It's about 5' tall, with lots of dead wood. It has leafed out partially, and is starting to bloom. I don't know it's age, but it has 5 main trunks that are about 1 1/4" in diameter. Though it's well mulched, it doesn't look like anyone has paid any attention to it for a very long time.

Here are my questions... Should I (can I?) transplant this bush in a sunnier location? If so, when's the best time? And, last, do I prune after blooms fade, or early next spring?

Thank you.

#54237 May 11th, 2006 at 02:18 AM
R
R
most R-o-S in the southwest are really alyogyne or another in malvacaea, if you post a pic we can tell for sure

#54238 May 11th, 2006 at 02:55 AM
M
M
May I hook on this posting....tried on another, no responses. How do I prune it to my rose of sharon to prevent it from looking top heavy. It is a White Chiffon. What do you suggest to plant beneath it (no pink colored plants)?

#54239 May 11th, 2006 at 01:48 PM
matoaka Offline OP
OP Offline
Hook away, mountaingirl! I'm interested in your pruning question, also.

Thanks RugbyHukr. I'll research the photo-posting info and get one up here for you to look at.

#54240 May 11th, 2006 at 05:48 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
matoaka Ros likes plenty of sun. I have two that get all day sun. Texas sun is just about as hot as NM sun but more humide in the DFW area I live in. I prune mine when they get shaggy looking. Best time to move them would probably be in fall or early spring. I have mine in 5 gallon buckets so I can bring them in when it gets real cold and the are doing great I have been trying to build up this polluted soil for 6 years some of it has responded but a lot of it hasn't hense the buckets.mountaingirl1 like I said above I prune mine when they get shaggy looking also keep the suckers cut off as well as any low growth also I don't plant anything under mine or any other plants. But that is my preference.

#54241 May 12th, 2006 at 01:01 PM
matoaka Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's my shrub. Is it a rose of sharon?
[Linked Image]
Thanks for all the help! (sorry about pic size... I'll still working on that... Duh )

Link Copied to Clipboard