This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5401 April 13th, 2004 at 05:13 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Apple Bread

4 cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I didn't peel)
4 large eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure almond extract
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated white flour

Topping:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
6 tbsp. butter at room temperature

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease two 9x5 inch bread loaf pans and set aside. Chop apples into 1 inch chunks. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the oil and beat until combined. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Beat until thoroughly mixed. Next, add the flour and sugar and mix on low just to blend. Turn the mixer to high and beat until mixture is smooth. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the chopped apples, mixing by hand so the apples don't get too broken up. Divide the mixture between the two pans. Since the batter is so thick, it is easiest to spoon the batter into the pans. To prepare the topping, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture with a fork until all ingredients are moist and crumbly. If you don't mind a little mess, it is faster to use your hands. Sprinkle equal amounts of topping on each loaf. Bake for about 1 hour on the center rack of the oven. The loaf should feel fairly firm when touched in the middle, or cook an extra 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pans. It is easier to slice the bread if you can wait until it is cool.

This recipe is from the Penzeys spice catalog. Penzeys spice catalog

#5402 April 13th, 2004 at 06:31 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That really sounds gggggggggggoooooooooooooooood!!

I wonder if you can make muffins out of that recipe????
Kids love muffins!!!

Thank~You for sharing that!!

Weezie

#5403 April 13th, 2004 at 07:19 PM
That does sound really yummy:) I am going to try it out this weekend. Thanks for sharing! Chrissy

#5404 April 13th, 2004 at 08:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
as i sit here reading, i am peeling apples to make this... verdict in a little while!

#5405 April 13th, 2004 at 08:56 PM
O
OP Offline
O
It's my favorite dessert bread recipe.

#5406 April 13th, 2004 at 10:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, it isn't out of the oven yet, but the kids and hub used the leftover apple chuncks (i just peeled all that were in the fridge) and cleaned the mix out of the bowl. pronounced awesome. have 10 more minutes on the bread, so we'll see.

#5407 April 13th, 2004 at 11:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, the verdict is in, they like it, but don't want quite so much cinnamon next time. i like it because it is easy. so, i give it 2 thumbup thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard