This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53948 May 31st, 2006 at 02:30 AM
W
OP Offline
W
While mowing yesterday I noticed a new (to me) type of weed in the lawn, taking notice of that and saw a seedling tree-black walnut;COOL. So as I finish cutting the lawn I keep my eyes glued to the grass in front, 10 seedlings not much taller than the grass, time to get a shovel and transplant to the garden for a couple years YaY squirrels. Then, this morning I'm checking the compost pile and the strawberries(almost ready) and here's a BW 18" tall, way cool, and find 10 more about 12" and to top off the good start to the morning my kids woke up soft and easy and ate their breakfasts without a peep. Now, if only the rain would hold of untill I can till/prep some unseeded rows in the garden.

#53949 May 31st, 2006 at 05:49 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Just remember, that tree carries juglone in it!!!
Black Walnut Fact Sheet

I have a ba~zillion of them here.

#53950 June 1st, 2006 at 05:16 AM
W
OP Offline
W
My place must be the exception to a lot of rules, this being one on the long list. Last years excellent growth garden was shaded by 6 black walnut, there's over 100 on this place and everything grows just fine around them, grass, trees, flowers, veggies, weeds, and I have some butternut also. I know the horse people around here don't want any bedding material with BW in it, they get real sick when they eat it.

Thanks for the info though, good list.

#53951 June 1st, 2006 at 06:17 AM
F
F
Are you positive it is Black Walnut there is a weed tree that looks alot like it but grows alot faster and is alot more prolific, cann't rememeber the name of it right off atm though ;-/

#53952 June 2nd, 2006 at 04:43 AM
Thanks for sharing that information Weezie. I always learn something new everytime I get on here. I have dug a lot of holes in my day and I remember how strong an odor I would get when cutting through BW roots. May be related to that toxic substance....

#53953 June 2nd, 2006 at 04:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
And they have a root system like you wouldn't believe... very long roots...

And the nuts, they drive me perpl
There is so many of them...

I wrote just a bit ago about this, but when I was pregnant and did a lawn sweep of the yard.. and just dumped the sweepers loads there, hopin' to move it.. but ended up having a C~section and didn't get to it... that spring, I had over *and I'm not exaggerating* 100 trees..
I know there was, cause I ended up giving them to a friend who owns a Christmas tree farm.. and they took 100 and left a bunch still there...

*That was only one season*

#53954 June 2nd, 2006 at 06:06 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Yes, I'm quite sure, it's a cash crop for retirement planning around here, so is cherry. There are not many seedlings that show up around here, in four years that we've been here this would be a bumper crop, so to speak, so I'll be taking advantage. The root systems, as far as I can tell does not spread out much and is certainly not close to the surface, I was not aware that BW had an evil twin, something to look into, " Igor, get me the Audobon book"," yesss master".

Link Copied to Clipboard