This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53735 May 9th, 2006 at 04:13 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

I bought a hibiscus in January and it flowered beautifully. About 15 days ago I noticed leaves falling and saw that it had become infected with green bugs - I think they were aphids. It lost a lot of leaves and buds that were just about to open fell. We brought it indoors and sprayed some insectisides. There are no more bugs. But leaves seem to turn yellow and fall. Even tiny leaves seem to turn yellow. There are only a few leves left, and a few buds that look like they will open in a week. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Sonia.

#53736 May 9th, 2006 at 05:52 AM
S
S
Ooooo, that's a tough one. The aphids, which seems right to me, probably did a number on the plant. I know hibiscus don't mind somewhat wet soil, but with the leaves continuing to yellow and drop, I would look at possibly a root problem also. I might recommend pulling back on the watering and seeing if that helps, and get it in some sun, or bright light, so it can photysynthesize as much as possible.
From your discription, that's what I would look at.

#53737 May 9th, 2006 at 06:43 AM
Hi Sonia! wavey

Welcome to the forum! You're going to love flw flw flw

#53738 May 9th, 2006 at 02:32 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

The blooms are deep peach. So I think it is tropical. The label said North Carolina.

I will try not watering for a bit and keeping it by the window. If I put it outside I am scared it will get more aphids.

Thanks,
Sonia.

#53739 May 9th, 2006 at 02:47 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
sondeepa if it is a Carolina wind or Carolina Breeze it is tropical. Put some dish liquid in a bottle take plant outside and spray real good that is what I use for aphids. I never use insectacides or pestacides as I use my blooms in salads and Tea. Also make sure when you water do not get water on the leaves it doesn't like that. I use a moisture meter on mine and try to maintain a good balance moisture they like water but don't over water. Also about once every 2 or 3 months I mix Epsom salt in water and drench the roots but make sare it is good and dry before you do. Hope this helps some. Have all mine on my porch until winter.

#53740 May 9th, 2006 at 05:50 PM
It sounds like it may be a tropical because I've never seen a peach color in the hardy ones. I used to have several tropical Hibiscus but then switched to the hardy ones because I had no place to keep them over the winter. frown

#53741 May 9th, 2006 at 06:15 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you.

I will try those out.

Thanks,
Sonia.

#53742 May 15th, 2006 at 10:13 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.
I stopped watering the plant for a few days and it looks much better. Blooms had buds don't fall anymore. I even got a bloom the otehr day. But everyday it loses a few leaves, that get a yellow black spot that grows and grows until it falls. I tried dish soap but tiny leaves seem to dry up and cringe overnight with that.

There are no more insects so that is fine for now.

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Sonia.

#53743 May 15th, 2006 at 10:19 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I was reading the previous post and I did use miracle grow about once in two weeks on the hibiscus. Could that be it?

How often would fertilizer required for Hibiscus?

I did have roses too and so that is what happened. Aphids and mildew attacked the roses too and along with fertilizers I sprayed a can of fungicide/insectiside over two weeks.

How often would one fertilize Azalias and Jasmine. I hope I keep those ok.

Thanks,
Sonia.

Link Copied to Clipboard