This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52057 June 12th, 2006 at 01:27 AM
M
McNan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have two honeysuckle vines growing on either side of my south facing trellis. They're about 4 years old. There's an old Maple tree to the west of the trellis, so that side is always a little behind compared to the east side.

This year some of the leaves are turning black and/or spotty and it doesn't look so good (mainly on the west side). It has been a very rainy season here in northern Maine so far.

Do I have some sort of mildew? What can I do about it? Or should I just sit it out until the sun comes back into our lives?

Thanks for any help you can give.

#52058 June 12th, 2006 at 08:36 AM
Honeysuckles are really tough, I wouldn't worry. I'm in the south, though, so you may wait and hear what others say. Black spots could also indicate aphids, but even those on honeysuckle will tend to run their course. Honeysuckles produce abundant new growth, and the new leaves should be unaffected by the problems you see early.

#52059 June 13th, 2006 at 01:03 AM
M
McNan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks.

They're blooming to beat the band, but look a little weary. I'm hoping once it dries up they'll come around.

Thanks again.

#52060 June 13th, 2006 at 01:15 AM
i'm going to take a guess and say it'll be fine. i have honeysuckle growing on a fence and the thing grows like a weed! i cut it to the ground every fall and right now the stuff is outta control! it's beautiful all full and the smell in heavenly but it really is a weed! LOL it's so hardy i think yours will be fine.

#52061 June 16th, 2006 at 11:08 AM
M
McNan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's already looking better. I don't know if it actually is better, or if the moral support you have given is working on me :^)

I've given them a close look and I don't see aphids.

Should I be cutting them back? I've pruned a bit, but nothing drastic. They're getting more than a bit out of hand. Could I cut them now? I would LOVE to get them back in some sort of organized chaos if I could.

#52062 June 19th, 2006 at 09:53 AM
We cut our's back all the time. I think they shut down some in the heat, but they can bloom all season if well watered and if the heat doesn't get too bad.

Link Copied to Clipboard