This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5198 August 8th, 2006 at 01:27 AM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi this might sound kinda stupid, but I'm sure I've asked worse ones before! How do you stuff peppers and what types of pepper do you use (you can stop laughing now). Thanks a million!

#5199 August 8th, 2006 at 01:43 AM
what kind of peppers are you wanting to stuff? Bell peppers or hot peppers? Duh

#5200 August 8th, 2006 at 04:03 AM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
My mom grew jalepeno peppers, can you use those, won't they be too hot (no one eats hot stuff here) I'd like to try stuffing my bell peppers.

#5201 August 8th, 2006 at 04:50 AM
You can use jalepeno peppers in a chili relleno dish. It can be hot, but then it is meant to be.

Stuffed bell peppers are really good also. I could find my recipes for either if you are interested.

#5202 August 8th, 2006 at 06:28 AM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks so much Triss, can't wait to try them. for some reason, this year I've had more bell pepper than I've even collected in all my gardening years (not many in case you were wondering!)

#5203 August 8th, 2006 at 08:10 AM
STUFFED peppers

2 large green bell peppers
3/4 lb sausage (or hanburger)
1/2 chopped onion
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tomatoes diced
1/3 cup bread crumbs or rice (we have used both)
1 TBPS worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 cup cheese (your choice on flavor)

Brown meat along with onions and garlic. Drain this mixture and mix in all other ingredients except the cheese. Sautee for a few minutes to warm everything. Remove from heat and mix in cheese. Fill peppers with mixture and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.

CHILI RELLENOS CASSEROLE

Roasted chili's, peeled and sliced, no seeds
montery jack cheese, grated
4 egg whites
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk

Mix the egg whites, flour and milk together. In an 8x8 baking pan, spready a little of the egg mixture. Layer the chili, then cheese and repeat until you have used all the ingredients.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

You can use any kinds of chili's for this depending on if you want mild or hot.

#5204 August 9th, 2006 at 07:39 AM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
sounds great, going to try it tomorrow. growing up in a Chinese family, he only thing I'v eseen being stuffed is bittermelon, eggplant and tofu. But those all use fishpaste and they they're pan fried/grilled.

#5205 August 9th, 2006 at 09:40 AM
Lemme know how you like it!

#5206 August 10th, 2006 at 08:57 AM
I stuff bell and red, yellow etc, with a simple ground turkey, tomato soup and rice and corn, top with cheese and bake, same with cabbage rolls...

jalapeno, slice and stuff with cream cheese and crabmeat and broil a bit?

my mom stuffs green peps with hashbrowns cream mush soup and cheese and tops with bacon???

#5207 August 10th, 2006 at 02:07 PM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
chenno, going to try your's and you mom's version, both sound equally good! I never knew you could stuff cream cheese in peppers! I've only seen jalepeno's stuffed with cheese and fried/baked. gotta try that!

triss, EXCELLENT RECEPIE! I loved it, so good! My sister want more cheese in hers so I dumped cheese over her portion when the whole batch were done and put it in the oven to bake and melt the cheese: I've never heard he make so many GOOD comments about my dishes before! thanks so much!

hmm...just wondering, why aren't those cheese stuffed jalepenos from the supermarket spicy hot? is it because frying them and baking them makes the 'cap-e-say-in' (my spelling isn't so good) go away?

#5208 August 10th, 2006 at 02:15 PM
What did you try Kenny??? I am so glad you liked it. And that the family liked it. When you can impress a sister, that is GOOD! grinnnn

Supermarket chilies are probably the less spicy ones like an anaheim. They wanna make sure a lot of people can eat them, not just chili lovers.

#5209 August 10th, 2006 at 02:18 PM
I have been wanting some stuffed bell peppers for awhile now, but did not know how Momma made them. Triss, I think your recipe looks like what she had in them, so I will be trying these, too. Thank you for posting it...

Dianna

#5210 August 10th, 2006 at 02:52 PM
Kenny, the stuffed jalapenos when seeded and stuffed with cream cheese and crab are so good, broiled or heated...and the heat is cut with cream cheese.let me know if you try it..

#5211 August 11th, 2006 at 01:07 AM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
triss, I tried the bell peppers, gonna try chenno's recepies tonite and will try the casserole on monday (I hope they aren't tired of eating peppers yet, I had many 'leftovers' when I tried before I asked for recipies!) chenno, gonna take you word for it bout takin out the seeds (silly me, I forgot to when I first tried stuffing those and they were so hot, guess all the hot stuf is in the seeds. You think it's ok to coat these in batter and fry them (sounds kinda like movie food!)

#5212 August 11th, 2006 at 01:26 AM
Hi Kenny wavey
You can also be creative and stuff them with absolutely anything you want...anything you think will taste good with peppers. I've had leftover roast chk and just chopped it up and mixed it with mushrooms, onions, seasoning and topped with cheese...also..leftover tuna salad...anything really. Try anything you want. thumbup
Have you ever roasted peppers to char the skin and then peeel the skin off? Oh yum...roasted peppers mixed with a little olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and basil is GREAT!!

#5213 August 11th, 2006 at 01:50 AM
Those sound really yummy and the kids LOVE peppers thumbup ...thanks!!

#5214 August 11th, 2006 at 03:04 AM
Yes, you can deep fry them...That would be good...
kinda like those poppers filled with cheese and breaded and deep fried..yum!

#5215 August 11th, 2006 at 10:03 AM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Have you ever roasted peppers to char the skin and then peeel the skin off? Oh yum...roasted peppers mixed with a little olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and basil is GREAT!!
That was exactly what my mom did when I was small! I used to refuse to eat vegetables with their peels on so she would roast a small plate of vegetables for me once a week (that was the only time I ate vegetable) The lemon juice and everything also works well with any type of roasted vegetables.

#5216 August 11th, 2006 at 12:32 PM
split them down the sides. Stuffs them with Cheddar cheese, and then roll them in a cheddar and sausage mix, bakes them—they are to die for!
350 for like 12-20mins
To make the sausage/cheese mix, just buy a tube of breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Dean) and mix it with cheese, a few tablespoons of bisquick. Roll it out like cookie dough and roll each jap in it like a pig in the blanket.

#5217 September 17th, 2006 at 07:09 PM
D
D
Kennyso,

Have you tried putting your fully baked (with cheese on top) in the freezer? You can bring them out within 6 months, heat them for 7 min. in the microwave, and have a ready made home cooked meal any time.

#5218 September 17th, 2006 at 07:16 PM
D
D
Kennyso,

I saute (sliced to shoestrings) bell peppers (any color) in a little olive oil with onions cut the same way, add some salt and when cooked through put them in an omlette. You can also add these to any stir-fry recipe or freeze them into recipe portions. No need for any of those wonderful bell peppers to go to waste. Don't forget to add the name and date to anything put into the freezer--I have learned from experience.

Link Copied to Clipboard