This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#51169 April 12th, 2006 at 11:07 PM
F
F
Don't really have a decent place to put them in teh ground. We grew betterboys in containers last year and they got pretty big too but the supports we put in worked well for them so unless they get bigger then the better boys I think we'll be ok smile I am really hpeing for tomatoes throught teh hot months most of our plants stopped producing for about a month or so last year so hoping the verity will give us a few during that time this year. We do water them daily in the pots. So unless they get bigger then the better boys I think we'll be good ont he size smile these are teh same buckets we had the others in last year too smile

#51170 April 12th, 2006 at 11:15 PM
That sounds great, glad to know you've had good luck already. Did they produce a lot? What part of the country are you in? I'm trying different stuff all the time to see what will produce in the hottest months...and just to try them for taste!

#51171 April 12th, 2006 at 11:34 PM
F
F
Centeral KY but in town so it's hotter then outside of. They produced a fair amount we had a couple rot before we coule eat them at one point had so many but that wasn't a norm, mostly the 4 plants 1 lemon boy 2 better boys and 1 cherry ( forgot what type) procuced enought for a salad every couple nights with hamburgers and the snacking ones for 2 poepel and gave a few to my parents.

#51172 April 12th, 2006 at 11:43 PM
Not bad. I'll be curious to see what happens...I'm going to try different types in containers, with really good soil. Good luck with the Brandywines...you'll love them! They're my all time favorite...they're often called "The tomato all others are judged by" or something like that.

#51173 April 12th, 2006 at 11:45 PM
S
S
Dave,

Of all the cherries we grew last year and there were many, if you're looking for a "true tomato taste" like something found in an heirloom beefsteak, the one that closest matches that description is Whippersnapper. It's a dwarf variety, perfect for a pot, only grows 2' tall, covered entirely in blossoms and eventually, fruit. It has pink cherries that aren't sweet, more complex tangy than any cherries I've tasted. If that's what you're after, I can send you some seeds, either now or for next year.

I really hope you like your Black Plum tomatoes. It should be a semi-determinate, not overly tall, but very bushy plant, very productive. The fruit are larger than cherries, about 2 oz, perfect for drying. That's what I use them for mainly and I'm growing them again this year. Do let me know what you think of them.

Cheers,
Julianna

#51174 April 12th, 2006 at 11:52 PM
Thanks, Julianna! You've been so generous already, I hate to ask, but yes, I'd try the Whippersnapper. Maybe Sungold, too. (I'm being greedy!) For one thing, I'd like to do some things in containers, so a dwarf would be awesome. MAN I can't wait to try those black plums. And to try drying tomatoes...I tried once and wound up with sour rot. I'm going to buy a few more reference books this year.

#51175 April 12th, 2006 at 11:54 PM
BTW Julianna, if there's anything you need, let me know! thumbup

#51176 April 12th, 2006 at 11:56 PM
OP Offline
This morning I found the first baby tomato ! A little green Celebrity about the size of a marble.
Here we go ! clp

#51177 April 13th, 2006 at 12:12 AM
Very exciting on the tomato. I have yet to have mine sprout. But then it is still quite cool here. I have finally started them though so that is a step in the right direction!

#51178 April 13th, 2006 at 12:19 AM
OP Offline
Bill, thanks for correcting my topic header's typo, that was bugging me !

#51179 April 13th, 2006 at 07:41 AM
A
A
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
This morning I found the first baby tomato ! A little green Celebrity about the size of a marble.
Here we go ! clp
WTG Deb. I'm happy for you. clp

I haven't had a garden in almost 15 years and "something" made me decide to do it again. I have lots of seedlings ready to go outside but the weather (rain) is not co-operating.

The place I have now used to be a gravel lot and grass grew over the top of it. I have to dig it up by hand (shovel) and the rain makes it heavier. I am not in good health so I do a little bit at a time and I think it will be ready by May. The soil underneath looks pretty good though.

If I can get one thing to grow, I will wet myself.

I am glad for you and your baby matey. lol

#51180 April 13th, 2006 at 11:32 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Always. I'm proud of you for getting out to garden whether you feel well or not, and by the way please feel better soon !
If you get one thing to grow, we all want pictures ! LOL ! laugh

#51181 April 13th, 2006 at 02:21 PM
K
K
Sungold is a good tomatoe, We have planted one about 8 yrs ago & it comes up volunteer every year since & seems to be fairly true even though supposed to be hybrid. I have grown Champion in past & good tomatoe, sounds like they ship same varieties to Fresno. I grow 'Chokes' every year they are basically perennial.They really grow best on the coast where it kind of foggy. When they volunteer once rain starts I dig seedlings & replant them where I want them. I put a big shovel of horse manure in deep hole under where choke planted, they like it. I picked & ate the first of this seasons crop of chokes yesterday. Its hot here & I pamper them, the plants can take up a lot of space we have one about 6ft across & 6ft tall & no sign of stopping. I think can take 2nd season to produce crop sometimes. they will produce smaller & smaller but more numerous chokes for a good while if you keep harvesting or will flower & go to seed. flowers are spectacular.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard