This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50983 June 4th, 2006 at 11:07 AM
OP Offline
I would like to thank everyone for helping me with my garden.
I have tasted my first tomatoe today nice very nice.

They are small, but that is my fault of coures, but that is okay they seem to have alot of flavor compare to the big ones in the store or maybe it's just me. We will see I gave my mother 2 of them so she can give me her opionin.

I am still struggling with the watermelon man that one is hard to grow.
Thank you again,
Nicky

#50984 June 4th, 2006 at 03:53 PM
Nothing like eating from your garden:-)
That's cool...and every year you learn more and more...I have tons to learn, but how fun it is:-)

Congrats on your first taste, here's to many more!
Angie

#50985 June 4th, 2006 at 04:06 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Firstyeargardener2006,
CONGRATULATIONSSSSSS.... THAT IS EXCELLANT TO HEAR!!!
Thanks for the update...
That is half the fun of being here, is to hear
the wonderful feed back from gardener's just like yourself....

And just like Angie said,
Originally posted by chenno:
Nothing like eating from your garden:-)
That's cool...and every year you learn more and more...I have tons to learn, but how fun it is:-)
Couldn't have said it any better...

The the learning process is another half of the fun too...
but the best part is coming back, after being a new gardener' and helping those in the exact same position you're in now...
Helping them be new, and keep their spirit's up..
to continued success... thumbup grinnnn

#50986 June 4th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
J
J
Mmmmmm, your first tomato! Lucky duck! I'm still weeks away from mine. Looks like it will be either Kimberly or Victorian Dwarf. The race is on! I did however have my first fresh salad from the garden. Black-seeded Simpson leaf lettuce with my first radishes...two champion on the left and two french breakfast....yummy

[Linked Image]

#50987 June 4th, 2006 at 11:18 PM
John where did you find golfball seeds? perpl

Those are some BIG radishes.
My tomato plants are only inches tall. Maybe the end of the month I'll get a bloom.

Nicky you said "they seem to have alot of flavor compare to the big ones in the store or maybe it's just me"
It's NOT just you. Homegrown red off the vine have tons more flavor. The supermarket ones will taste like water to you from now on.

#50988 June 5th, 2006 at 03:05 AM
OP Offline
Johnct,

Those radishes look gorgeous. I don't even like radishes, but now I am thinking about growing some next year to try.

And yes I look forward to next year having a bigger and more understanding so that I can help with any questions someone might have.

Thank you,
Nicky

#50989 June 5th, 2006 at 05:00 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Firstyeargardener2006:

I am still struggling with the watermelon man that one is hard to grow.
Nicky
I do experiments every year...*oh, alright, sometimes I get so busy, I ferrrrrrget to do things or get around to doing them*
but I usually have some tomatoes drop on the ground and I leave them and get some volunteers in the spring time..*they're a bit slower, but hey, I still get some tomatoes off of them*
but anyways, I left a baby water melon and a smaller canteloupe *the orange colored one, not green* and left it on top of my soil...

Well, they broke down over winter, and there were seeds from each..
for them both, I did end up having to cover the seeds before they did anything, but I now have seeds sprouting from both piles...
*I also have a mystery one, cause I forgot what vegetable I layed there.. duh, I think it was a butternut squash*

It's been fun watching them sprout *and not get eaten by the chippemonks and slugs.. grrrrrr!!

but I'm hopin' to get something from them...
I thought it was alot easier to grow them that way, then all the work I did for them in the green house...

John, those are some very niceeeeee lookin' radishes there, was tempting not to get the salt shaker and salt my screen. wink wink laugh grinnnn lala

and Wrennie is soooooo right on with the tomato flavors and supermarket and fresh homegrown ones'..
Nooooooooothing finer than to eat one, straight
off the vine.. YUMMMMMM...

#50990 June 6th, 2006 at 06:36 AM
John, your picture makes my mouth water, you beat me to it.

My radishes are growing well, but they're too small to pull yet.

I agree with tomatoes off the vine, ohhhhhh can't wait till mine are ready.

Firstyeargardener2006 great job with your tomatoes, hopefully mine will grow like yours do.

Link Copied to Clipboard