This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Xetox Offline OP
OP Offline
We have a low deck that in the front of it has about I would say 4 feet from ground to deck...there is always weeds and what nots growing under there...I was looking for something that will take over underthere that wont need much care?

Any suggestions?

Xetox what kind of sun does it get?

R
R
pachysandra shoud do

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Acanthus mollis 'Tasmanian Angel'
Bear's Breeches, Variegated

Acer circinatum 'Little Gem'
Maple, Dwarf Vine

Actaea japonica
Bugbane

Astilbe c. 'Superba'
False Spirea

Astilbe j. 'Montgomery'
False Spirea

Athyrium augustum forma rubellum 'Lady in Red'
Lady in Red

Athyrium filix-femina 'Vernoniae Cristatum'
Lady Fern, Miss Vernon's Crested

Chasmanthium latifolium
Northern Sea Oats

Coleus will work during the summer months but will have to be taken in during the rest of the year. They will not take temperatures below 55 degrees farinheit.

Darmera peltatum
Umbrella plant

Dryopteris affinis 'Stableri'
Male Fern, Narrow Leaf Golden-Scaled

Spurge

Helleborus x hybridus
Lenten rose

Hosta

Lamiastrum 'Herman's Pride'
False Lamium

Liriope muscari 'Big Blue'
lily-turf

This isn't a complete list but it is a start. Hopefully it will at least get you on the right start. I didn't know your zone so you will have to check that before choosing to buy one.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pachysandra, various ferns, hosta (they flower) all do well with little to no sun. creeping clematis, too.

hosta (variegated variety) does well with some sun. vinca does really well (nice ground cover and it flowers) the more sun it gets - it'll still grow in the shade tho.

Xetox Offline OP
OP Offline
SpringFever - Very little sun, well when the sun is sitting in the west it does get some sun.

Pachysandar, does that spread well, does it stay fairly close to the ground...I dont want something that is going to grow like 3 foot tall or something.

Last question, where can I find some the cheapest smile

Thanks!

Xetox this link may help ground cover for shade
also lily of the valley has some nice little flowers and does not get too tall..
seeds may be the ticket for a cheap ground cover.
try the seed exchange

Xetox Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I am thinking about Asarum caudatum looks like something that would be perfect for that spot. Now to only find some seeds, or roots.

Pachysandar spreads well and stays close to the ground. Other choices might be woodruff, snow-in the-summer and some of the lower growing Hostas.

hey, xetox.
we live in the pacific northwest and fern grows well under our deck. if you get enough rain, you might think of growing it under yours. it requires no care. just let it go.

Link Copied to Clipboard