This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I am just wondering if anyone has any recipes for food from their gardens?
Like Rhubarb, Zucchini, corn, tomatoes or green peppers or hot peppers??
Would be very interested in hearing a few!!!

Weezie
Happy Eating, And Gardening!!! smile

P
P
Another great topic, Weezie!

Here's one of my favorite zucchini recipes (besides zucchini bread wink )

BAKED ITALIAN ZUCCHINI

Preheat oven to 350.
Place in casserole, adding seasoning to each layer:
2 medium or 3-4 small umpeeled zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 onion, sliced
1 whole tomato, sliced (optional)
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
salt and pepper
Pour over:
1/2 cup tomato sauce, enough to barely
cover vegetables
Cover and bake 45 minutes.
Uncover and add:
1 cup cubed buttered bread OR
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated cheese
Bake an additional 10 minutes uncovered.

Serves 6

F
F
Weezie, i don't have any recipes... but i did mention to my son that i would pay him a dollar if ate that big white grub i dug up a few weeks ago. I was just kidding, but apparently he didn't think i was... I paid him a dollar... laugh

B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Floweraddict that is disgusting!!!!! Catlover

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
OH, yuck bob, that's discusting!!!
Well, unfortunately your son's next venture should those stupid new reality shows, Survivor or....... I can't remember the name of the other on Tuesday nights, they eat the bugs on pizza, lay down with scorpians and snakes, oh, no wait a minute, that's your house!!!!
Forgive me, I couldn't resist that one!!!!
I guess if you can make money doing that stuff, more power to you....
Oh, there was one on there where they had to eat a so called pizza with coagulated blood as the sauce, some kind of goat intestine stuff for the cheese and grubsand worms for the pepperoni and sausage I guess....oh yuck!

Weezie eek

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I have a quick one for some zucchini:

1 zucchini
1 bottle of Robusto Italian Salad Dressing.

(can be any flavor of your favorite dressing, but I use other dressings for other recipes, but truly like that one the best.)
Others' that I've tried were pretty good too:

Kraft's Zesty Italian
Good Season's Zesty Italian

Take the Zucchini and slice length wise.
Heat up the grill,
Put zucchini on.
Make sure you get some grill marks on it.
And turn accordingly...
It doesn't take long. More to your own taste.
I like mine soft, I cook mine until 3 minutes, turn it same side so I get a criss~cross pattern, then 3 minutes each grill mark on other side.
Re~apply Italian dressing each time you turn.
Can be cooked on the grill but even in
the winter time can be cooked on a skillet or frying pan.

Hope you like it...
Weezie

laugh

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Alyssia,
That sounds good!!!
I never liked Zucchini until I was about 30 something or other, now I really like it alot.
I'll send in some more as the great Zuke~Cuke comes closer!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yum, my mouth is watering already!

And Bill,
Thanks for yours. Have you ever grown blueberries??? I would like to sometime if
I can talk my father~in~law into building me a cage for them... I understand birds can pick you clean.... and I have alot of birds here. I have some tree that the robins absolutely love, they strip it clean within a weeks time. I would love to know the name of it but it grows wild and no one knows for sure. I also have a cherry tree they strip too. I'm not that crazy about the cherries, they seem to be sour but who would know, I had to grab one early before the birds got 'em. I should have said I grow a cherry "pit" tree because that's all I'm left.
So, when they let me get one of those cages, One you can walk into, I'll grow blueberries, raspberries, all the berries i should say, there's not one I don't like. I have strawberrries now, but I'll move those, we manage to get a few of those. Big, and sweet and juicy. I have so many plants this year I'm running out of room to put them. And I just planted an elderberry bush (a wild one).
When I was growing up that's all I did in the summer was hunt for wild fruit. Could always tell what time of year by the fruit.
Strawberries, black raspberries, raspberries, blackberries, thimbleberries, currents, apples, pears, plums, elderberries. Oh YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

I'll send in more recipes!!!
Happy Eating and Happy Gardening!
Weezie laugh

The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Weezie are you thinking of "Fear Factor"? Good Show!!!! Catlover

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Yes,
I watch it on occasion, when I'm cleaning up dishes. It's kind of goofy but... I can't believe people actually do that?/???? I would throw~up so fast, I'd be a projectile into the camera..... Eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!
Weezie wink

W
W
GARDEN TOMATO CASSEROLE

3 CUPS TOMATO WEDGES
1 CUP SHREDDED CHEDDER
1 CUP BREAD CRUMBS
1 CUP CHOPPED GREEN pepper
1 SMALL DICED ONION
1/4 CUP BUTTER, MELTED
1/2 TEASPOON PAPRIKA

PREHEAT OVEN TO 300
GREASE 1 1/2 QUART CASSEROLE DISH
COMBINE INGREIENTS
BAKE UNTIL VEGGIES ARE TENDER
ABOUT 4 SERVINGS

smile smile

[ 06-07-2003: Message edited by: WILDVIOLETS ]

The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Sh*t, I would have to throw more than onions and carrots in for flavor. YUCK................ eek ............ YUCK......YUCK...... eek eek eek
BARFING Catlover :p laugh wink cool

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Yuck!!! Is also my opinion!!!!
I would have to throw more.........

more............???

more of it in the garbage for it to taste better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eeeeewwwwwwwww!!
Weezie eek

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually my husband ate squirrel dumplings once because his friends wife cooked it for him....lol He actually said that it tasted good...kind of like chicken.... smile

U
U
Spinach Salad.

Chopped raw spinach leaves
Chopped raw broccoli
Chopped raw cauliflower
Garbonzo beans
Sliced Olives
Bean sprouts
Alfalfa sprouts
Chopped and cooked bacon
Grated hard boiled eggs
Frozen Peas
Grated Cheese

Basiclly a wild chefs salad with spinach instead of lettuce, or use both.
Being a musician I have traveled north america a lot and have found a bacon that is pretty good. It's in any Safeway Deli. Not a lot of salt and less fat in the pan and more bacon for the salad. (just a suggestion).
Most everything is unmeasured, as is most salads.
I usually use the equivelent of of 1 1/2 bunches of store bought spinach.
About a 1/6 of a head of broccoli and cauliflower.
One can each of drained olives and garbonzos
Extra sharp cheese.
About a pound of bacon.
And the rest is to taste.
This makes one huge picnic or church function or social gathering salad.

Hope this makes sense.

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
That sounds different!!!
and tasty...........

I have seen a Hot Spinach Salad.
Not sure of the exact ingredients but something like:
Spinach
Onion
Mushrooms
Cooked eggs
Bacon
and when you cook the bacon you save the drippings and put I don't know sugar, and stuff,
I'll get the recipe if anyone's interested.
Weezie wink

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I have one for home made Salsa too.

I'll dig that one out sometime too!!!

Yum!!!!!
My mouth is watering right now......
Weezie wink laugh

F
F
here is a wonderful recipe for rhubarb bread. i get nothing but compliments on it. RHUBARB BREAD 1 1/3 c. brown sugar, packed 2/3 c. vegetable oil 1 egg 2 tsp. vanilla 1 c. buttermilk ( or use 1 c. milk w/1 tsp. vinegar added) 2 1/2 c. flour 3/4 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1 tsp. baking soda 1 1/2 c. to 2 c. fresh rhubarb, diced 1/2 c. chopped walnuts beat together brn sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, & milk. seperatly combine flour, salt, soda, & cinnamon. add to mixture. stir in rhubarb & nuts. pour into TWO 8x4 loaf pans. bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins. or until knife comes out clean. you'll love it.

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
ooh~ooh fugimo,
That does sound good.!!! My mouth is watering now.

My neighbor make me rhubarb cake last year, (I'll track her down for the recipe)
It was pretty tasty.

And my tenant made me rhubarb/raspberry jelly
eating right now as a matter of fact!

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!
Weezie

F
F
Oh, by the way... i have never eaten squirrel dumplings before. If someone tries it, let me know how it tastes.... laugh

P
P
Never have tried squirrel dumplings, but it seems like a very economical, thrifty way to get rid of them. You lose the dug up flower beds and trashed bird feeders and gain a full stomach. Hey, why not?

Of course, I love squirrels and I think they're so cute and funny. Partly because I only see them when we're on furlough in the states. We have none here. Our guard dogs are the worst garden enemy, chewing on my hibiscus and pulling off leaves. mad

(Hmmmm... Chinese people eat dogs....)

C
C
Spinach Dip

1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, drained and squeezed dry (I use garden fresh, blanched, & chopped)
1 pkg Knorr's vegetable soup mix
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise

Mix the sour cream and mayonnaise together in a bowl. Pour in the soup mix, onions and spinach. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for at least four hours. Stir before serving.

B
B
Weezie- take all those vegetables (except the rhubarb!) and marinate in some olive oil, soy sauce and red wine. I also add onions, summer squash, leeks, carrots, and even a small cucumber. Let it sit for a few hours or even overnight and then toss in a wok basket on a hot grill. Doesn't take long to cook and can be served immediately as is or one can add a pkg. of stir fry seasoning.
I know it's not unique, but it's a fast way to get rid of lots of veggies and it's not very fattening either. FWIW laugh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, I have to put my two cents worth in on the squirrel dumplings. I have not had squirrel dumplings, but I have made squirrel gravy. You take your squirrels (well cleaned) and put them in a pot with salt, pepper, onions, a little garlic, a bit of soy sauce, bay leaves and some mushrooms. Cover with water and simmer until tender enough to fall off the bone. Pick out bones, thicken up broth, and serve over mashed potatoes. YUM YUM!

B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Yummmmmmmmmm.... My strawberries finally got ripe. Now I just need the whipped cream and the cute redhead... or blonde... or...

I hope you know the recipe already!
laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard