This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49803 March 20th, 2006 at 08:41 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Ok i have all these flowers would liek to know how to take the seeds and save them for another use

so far zinnias
marigolds
hibiscus can you help me laugh

#49804 March 20th, 2006 at 01:15 PM
hello,

there are no stupid questions,even einstein asked stupid questions at one time..but look at him now...well maybe not now ,he won t be pretty to look at if you take a peek now frown laugh

i don t exactly have the technic bjut it involves thighing a bag somewhere under the flower...ok,ok i know it sounds weird but no word play please! laugh

but some better gardner than me will come along shortley to answer you.

talk to you soon ,

Franny wavey

#49805 March 20th, 2006 at 03:20 PM
For Marigolds and Zinnias, I wait until the flowers (seed heads) turn brown and are dry before I cut them. Then I gently tear the seed heads apart over a bowl to remove the seeds.

For my Hibiscus, I collect the seed pods when they are dry and gently pull the pods apart and pick the seeds out. They are black and large enough to see. One thing you need to remember about the Hibiscus seeds is that the seed coats are very hard and you need to scarify the seeds (nick it with a knife or sand it lightly with a file or sandpaper). Just nick it enough until you see some green. Do not cut it too deeply or you will injure the embryo. Then I soak the seeds in hot water for 2-3 hours to shorten the germination time. I plant the seeds immediately after the soaking.

Hope this helps!

patches kit

#49806 March 20th, 2006 at 11:49 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The information you are looking for is usually flower specific. You are looking for either the seed pod or seed head but it looks different for each seed which can be fun to figure out.

http://theseedsite.co.uk/

Is a site that has pictures of many of the flower heads and pods and the seeds to help you get started. I have yet to find anywhere with a truely comprehensive list.

#49807 March 21st, 2006 at 02:49 AM
SASSA.........;O)

HECK THAT IS EASY.. WAIT TILL THE seed IS REALLY DRY , PULL THE seed PART OFF WITH YOUR FINGER, AND GENTLY PUT THEM INTO A PAPER BAG OR ENVELOPE.
I SAY PAPER, BECAUSE......
IF THEY ARENT DRY ENOUGH THEY WILL MOLD.. YOU MUST DRY THEM THOROUGHLY.. OR PUT THEM ON A TRAY IN THE SUN FOR ABOUT A WEEK.. SURE DRYNESS .

DODGE smile

Link Copied to Clipboard