This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48465 July 29th, 2006 at 08:55 AM
OP Offline
i know that too much water can split tomatoes, but if the cause is rain is there anything else i can do to try to prevent it? any nutrients make them less suseptible to cracking? or should i just pick them about 1/2 ripe and let them ripen indoors?

#48466 July 29th, 2006 at 09:47 AM
It's not so much too much water as too little followed by a really good watering. The best way is to only water when the plants need it and give them a really deep soaking. It may be a week apart. Frequent, shallow watering, encourages root systems to remain near the surface, where they dry out more easily and don't penetrate deeply into the soil. If the roots run deep then moisture is available to them all the time so when it rains they don't get a big change in their moisture levels. Mulching also helps. Well, that's as i understand it. I don't think there are any other factors involved really.

#48467 July 30th, 2006 at 12:06 AM
J
J
PA, some varieties are more prone to cracking than others. It's not unheard of to pick them when they are close to being ripe if there is impending heavy rain or T-storms.

#48468 July 30th, 2006 at 02:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have done the same thing as Longy mentioned...
and really haven't watered my tomatoes except
for when I initially planted them...
*and we have had our fair share of rain on and off, but I haven't watered them since except for rain, and my plants are looking good...

I haven't gotten any tom's ready to pick yet,
but I will let you know on how it works for me this year...

I have to say, IMHO, of growing tomatoes,
alot is to watch your plants/fruits, know your soil and your own water amounts, watch the weather reports ~constantly~ and
pick them accordingly...
I don't think there's any nutrient you can add to the soil to help prevent that stuff....

And like John said, maybe if your weather forcast calls for scattered showers all week
*Like we've gotten here all week so far*
and you have on'es that are close, and the color is close to pickin', pick them..
*also alot has to do with how an individual uses them.. if they pick one at at time for eating, or if they need alot for canning or such*

Link Copied to Clipboard