This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47950 January 20th, 2006 at 09:17 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

I've been able to overwinter these "seedling" geraniums pretty well so far this year. They are the 99 cent type that you get at the box stores in the summer. I'd like to cut them back to hopefully make them a bit bushier, as the bottom leaves are browning and dying off, and would like to root the cuttings. I've not been successful at rooting them, to date.

Any suggestions?

#47951 January 20th, 2006 at 10:18 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
How have you been rooting them??
The technique??

#47952 January 20th, 2006 at 10:32 PM
OP Offline
Hi Weezie - how are you doing today?

I've done the water in a jar, and also putting the stems in a damp paper towel and then zipping a plastic bag around the stem. The latter got some roots, but the plants didn't grow after planting in soil.

#47953 January 20th, 2006 at 10:51 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Doing better!!!

Have you tried taking the tip/stem and snip it,
make sure you have several leaves on them..
Strip the bottom 2 or 3 leaves, then
dip rooting hormone on the bottom,

I I know with a rose cutting, you have to take a stem that is flowering, and snip the flower..
Might work with the same concept..
DUNNO???

If you got a pusyywillow or regular willow tree
around, take a stem or two or three and stick them in some water/watering can and then let
them "Steep" in the water.. and then water the
geranium cutting with that water..
I know the willow cutting/water has rooting hormones' supposedly will steep into the water..
and may help also root them...

Maybe try the layering concept time...
Take one of the stems, layer it on the side of the dirt in the pot/container... and strip the set of leaves that would touch the dirt.. and put something on top of it, to hold the stem on top of the dirt and make contact...

Might work that way too..

#47954 January 20th, 2006 at 10:53 PM
M
M
I have the best success with letting the cuttings dry out for a few hours , then inserting them in moist potting soil . Keep them on the dry side until new growth starts .
I even stick cutings in the same pot as the mother plant ,( If it is in a large enough pot ) , and they soon start growing .
I hope this helps .

#47955 January 20th, 2006 at 10:59 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Weezie and Marian. kissies

I've tried sticking the cuttings in with mother plants, but with very limited success.

I do have rooting hormone. No willows around here though. Think I'll try a few of the methods mentioned and I'll let you know. thumbup

#47956 January 21st, 2006 at 10:39 AM
R
R
Here's a good link

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-002/426-002.html

The paragraph on temperature, I think, is dead on.

I've had limited success with Geraniums and Wax Begonias. I'm going to try the perlite and vermiculite medium next time around.

Roger

#47957 January 21st, 2006 at 11:01 PM
M
M
I never use rooting hormone , but I do let them dry out on the cut end before planting them .

#47958 January 21st, 2006 at 11:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Geranium's are the only plant I have ever been able to ever root. Which means it has got to be the easiest for anybody..Cuz I am not good at this at all..All I do is break them at a joint and stick them in the ground..No kidding they just start growing...

#47959 January 23rd, 2006 at 05:03 PM
O
O
When I was taking my greenhouse Production class they taught us that geranium cuttings should be kept in the refrigerator overnight before planting so that the cuts would be encouraged to dry and begin to callous up. You'll lose a lot less to rot this way. I put them in plastic bags and spray just a little water in with them so they don't wilt too much, but the water might not be necessary. Cutting just below a joint like Oui said is a good idea as they tend to root a lot better there.

#47960 January 23rd, 2006 at 09:36 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for all the great responses! thumbup
So far, I've taken 3 cuttings, let the stem tips dry out, dipped them in rooting hormone, and stuck them in damp soil that has mostly peat and perlite.

It's day 3 and they are still looking pretty good.

[Linked Image]

#47961 March 9th, 2006 at 10:08 AM
Guess I flunk on rooting geraniums ..I just cut mine and put them in water and have roots right now.

dodge

#47962 March 9th, 2006 at 10:43 AM
I have a book called "The Joy of Geraniums" and it says you can do them in water by removing the bottom leaves and place in glass of water in a light but not sunny window. Or you can pack a small wad of damp soil or un milled sphagnum moss around the cut end and insert it in the soil at the side of one of the mature plants. In less then a month it will be self supporting and ready for a life of its own in a 2-1/2 or 3 inch pot.
Select tips of firm but not woody growth. Let each piece have two or three small joints (nodes) Dip the ends in hydrated lime to prevent decay (rooting hormone)
The indoor temperature needs to be around 60 degrees for best results (cool room)

#47963 March 9th, 2006 at 12:35 PM
I've never had any luck with rooting geraniums in water, but had great success with stem cuttings. I dip the tip in rooting hormone and put them in moist (not wet) Pro-Mix to root. thumbup

patches kit

#47964 March 10th, 2006 at 10:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Did you know you can also shake the dirt off of
the geranium plant, hang up side down in a cool basement for the winter, and then re~pot up in the spring and it'll be good to go....

#47965 March 11th, 2006 at 08:03 AM
Yes Weezie, I've tried that but didn't have much luck with it. frown I've talked to a lot of people who've been successful doing it that way, but I think my basement probably isn't cool enough. frown

patches kit

#47966 March 11th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My Granny did it alot, I can remember
them hanging in the back basement...
*their furnace was in that room, I remember it
being warm, but not as warm as the house.*

I don't remember her actually taking them down and repotting them or anything, but I know she
had bunches and bunches of them....

Link Copied to Clipboard