This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47868 May 30th, 2006 at 10:31 AM
kt Offline OP
OP Offline
help
my grass is getting out of hand
i like it but need to know how to deal with this plant which already has had a go at slicing my arms
any ideas on how to prune and nurture would be greatly appreciated

#47869 May 30th, 2006 at 10:44 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I am moving your question down to the plants and flowers Forum so that others can add input and access these links.

Growing Ornamental Grasses in the Garden

Pampas Grass [i](Cortaderia selloana)[/i]

Dividing Pampas Grass

Other Ornamental Grasses

#47870 May 31st, 2006 at 01:35 AM
I have heard that you can tie the whole thing together with string(heavy duty of course) and use a chainsaw to chop it. This should be done every year - I don't remeber if its spring or fall though. I live at the beach so there's ornamental grass everywhere!
Gopod luck!

#47871 June 1st, 2006 at 05:19 AM
From what I just read it looks like the best time to prune and/or devide Pampas grass is in the very early spring before the new growth really starts. I am thinking of planting two of them at the entrance to my driveway. However, when I looked up Bills link on Pampas grass it stated that the grass likes "Full to partial shade". Is this in error as I remember seeing it planted in full sun, not full shade. Claire, I have been to Va.Beach many times and I always love the vast amount of ornamental grasses as well as the HUGE crape myrtles!! Especially over by the Aquarium. Take care.

#47872 June 2nd, 2006 at 12:11 PM
I love the crepe mertles everywhere too...we thought about getting one, but are planning to move next summer so we will wait untill then smile

pampass is very much full sun, as are most ornamentals from what i've read.

Budman - where is unionville?? never heard of it....

#47873 June 3rd, 2006 at 05:09 AM
Full sun is what I thought. Bill might want to change that description to reflect that as it was kind of confusing.

Unionville is in Orange County, Va. and is very close to Lake Anna if you are familar with that. The closest city is Fredericksburg and I am about eighteen miles west of it. I have many good memories of V.Beach and am really impressed with how they have improved that area the last few years. Take care, Bud-

Link Copied to Clipboard