This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47418 March 28th, 2006 at 12:34 AM
KKMedic Offline OP
OP Offline
I love bulbs and my husband is not a plant person (he gripes when the plants have finished flowering and are dying back down... he says it looks trashy and weedy even though it is not weeds) Duh ... I am trying to figure out some good combinations of bulbs to keep continuous flowering from spring to fall... any input?

spring.I have a combo of daffs/snowflakes/alluim/crocus.their foliage just about ends together to be mowed over the remainder of season.
Most gladiolis will bloom 2 months after planting.can stagger the plantings also to help keep the bloom machine going.
I bought a bag of mixed lillys(all types) it was said to be 125 days of bloom.It wasn't,but I did get about 3 months.

You may want to try brett& beckys catalog.they put out a spring& Fall one& offer different plants in each and in the back is a chart with planting info and has a bloom time chart& will also list campanion plants as well ( besides being a very great place to purchase from....though slow as molasses recieveing,but alot of stuff is shipped overseas as well)They just sent out their summer 2006 catalog
http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
crocus, daffodils, tulips, hycinthia, nodding onions, allium 'sparklers', glads. Then you might want to sprinkle some chinese houses or miniature snapdragons seeds since both of those plants have shallow roots and are good for overplanting bulb beds. And being annuals you don't have to worry about them when you lift your bulbs for any reason.

my neighbor has an awesome spring garden! right now his tulips, crocus, hyacinths and daffodils are coming up. right after they are done his front yard is a sea of red poppies. it is beautiful and hides the foliage from the earlier bulbs. i'll have to take a pic this year. i've been meaning to for a while now- my sis-in-law LOVES poppies. not sure about late summer though into fall.

KKMedic Offline OP
OP Offline
????What are sparklers, nodding onions, and chinese houses? I have never heard of them...and am always game for something different!

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
In the Breck's catalog they have the Allium 'Sparkler' here is a picture

[Linked Image]

The nodding onions are another form of allium called Allium cernuum

[Linked Image]

Chinese houses are sold by an e-bay company called seeds for thee. They are a combination of purple and white.

Link Copied to Clipboard