This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47389 May 4th, 2006 at 12:26 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Anyone have any suggestions? Do I just put the grass seed down? How do I prepare the soil? I'd appreciate any guidance grinnnn

#47390 May 4th, 2006 at 11:47 PM
J
J
How did the spots become bare? What kind of conditions are the bare spots in and how large are they? Sunlight, etc.

#47391 May 5th, 2006 at 12:22 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
1st loosen the soil, then apply the seed, for a total bare area you would want to use 5 to 6 pounds of seed per 1000 square feet. If you are just thickening up you can use less. Once the seed is put down, incorporate it into the soil with the back of a grass rake, this can be done best by making strokes in a "X" pattern. Once the seed is covered you may wish to cover it with a mulch or salt hay. This is recommended if you are speaking of a hilly area where the seed can wash away. The next step would be watering, make sure the area does not dry out, specially after the seed starts to germinate!
If it is a sunny area you can pretty much expect to have crab grass there come later in the summer, as this will happen when ever you disturb the ground in the spring. If this happens you may need to re seed the area again come late summer or early fall. smile

#47392 May 5th, 2006 at 07:06 AM
K
K
There is always grass where you don't want it. Dig it up, dig a hole, and replant it. That's what I did and it filled in nicely.

#47393 May 5th, 2006 at 10:00 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
KYJOY,

But if you did that, the grass would be where you want it and by Murphy's law it would wither and die. wink

#47394 May 5th, 2006 at 12:40 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks guys! The bare spots are around the back door, so we think that the plow may have gone over them in the winter - removing the snow, grass and a layer of soil. It's not a big area, but looks awful nonetheless. Where can I find the hay? Would it be available at Lowes?
Thanks,
Gail

#47395 May 5th, 2006 at 01:54 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Gail,
I have not been back in NY is about 7 years so I am not sure who would sell it. Your best bet would be to let your fingers do the walking thru the yellow pages for landscape and garden suppliers or nurseries. I doubt the major chain hardware stores would carry it, but they may.
I would have to think that they would carry the newer seeding mulch pellets, that work very well.

#47396 May 5th, 2006 at 11:45 PM
J
J
If its just a small spot, you won't need any hay or mulch. Also, how much seed you use per 1000 sq ft would have to depend on what variety you're gonna plant. If it's kentucky blue grass, which is the superior turfgrass, you'll only need 2-3 lbs per K. Perennial rye or fescues need more because they will not spread and fill in by themselves. You may want to try IDing the most prominant variety in the surrounding turf so you can plant the same type. Most important thing with sowing turfgrass seed is keeping the soil surface moist until the seed germinates. Good luck.

#47397 May 6th, 2006 at 05:10 AM
K
K
Contrary to popular opinion, and because of the heat and humidity, KY Fescue 31 has become a very popular grass here (KY).

#47398 May 6th, 2006 at 01:38 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Okay my turn to voice which type of lawn I think is best wink

Personally, I like using a mixture of grasses, usually fine and red fescues, perennial ryes and blue grasses,that way if a fungal disease starts up which targets one particular type of grass there will be others present so the damage will not appear to be as sever. If you only have one type of grass a disease could wreck havoc on the lawn.
In drought situations the fescues will do better then the ryes or blues, in excess moisture, the ryes will fair better. Blue grasses do make a beautiful lawn, but tend to be a bit more troublesome and temper mental as far as extremes in temps, humidity and rainfall go.
John is right if it is a pure KBG lawn, since the seed is so small,( 1/4 the size of the other seeds) a little bit goes much further. Fescues are slower to spread, but I think the rye is pretty quick as well, but this would mostly depend on its care.

#47399 May 6th, 2006 at 04:26 PM
if a fungal disease starts up which targets one particular type of grass there will be others present so the damage will not appear to be as severe. If you only have one type of grass a disease could wreck havoc on the lawn.
Now why didn't I think of that?! [Linked Image] It's SOOO simple! Mike, you've helped me so tremendously with my lawn issues, that I always try to read your posts over here! (I keep learning new things, & the whole picture is starting to come together for me now!) Thanks a bunch! kissies

#47400 May 7th, 2006 at 03:15 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you everyone smile We have had a few really wet and warm days, so hopefully that will help our lawn to grow back. I've resisted the urge to cut it! I'm trying to keep it a little longer than I have done in past years, in the hope that the weeds are less likely to grow. I'll keep you posted on how it does.

#47401 May 24th, 2006 at 12:17 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Yay! We have grass in almost all the bare patches. Thank you everyone for your advice smile

Link Copied to Clipboard