This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47275 January 30th, 2006 at 05:04 AM
BeckyB Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone have a recipe for a homemade remedy for fungus knats? Also, are Poinsettias really poisonous? I've heard they are, then they aren't, then they are, then they aren't, etc. Thanks.

#47276 January 30th, 2006 at 11:50 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'm not a big house plant gardener',
but I believe Gnats are in house plants...
Sooooo, I"m going to move this post in to
The House plant section...

Also, if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in
FUNGUS GNATS or just GNATS...
I think you'll get a few posts that come up about that subject...

Just to let you know!!

#47277 February 3rd, 2006 at 04:16 AM
A
A
I've heard that they are attracted to rotten smelling liquid. Supposedly if you leave out a tray of rotten liquid they'll be attracted to it. This didn't work at all for me. A cup of water was suprisingly effective in catching the adult gnats, but to kill the larvae I used nematodes. These were very effective and they were pretty cheap. Here's where I bought them.
http://www.buglogical.com/

#47278 February 5th, 2006 at 11:58 AM
beneficial nematodes are one of the best control methods for fungus gnat larvae.

adult fungus gnats attracted to yellow. You can use yellow sticky cards to trap them.

Monitor your watering habits. People tend to over water and that promotes them. Fungus gnat larva can damage plants, they need to be controlled. They larva eat the roots off your plants and can vector plant pathogens.
fungus gnat information

Beneficial nematodes for fungus gnat controls

hope this helps!

Link Copied to Clipboard