This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47234 March 9th, 2006 at 10:49 AM
OP Offline
I planted the garlic last season but it got to cold. So didn't get to see or have any. But this would be my first time and not to sure what to do. Do i just leave it their in the ground for this season?? Any help would be great!!!! Dee

#47235 March 9th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
I think I would leave it and see what is does.

Garlic is like onions, both are two years plants.

#47236 March 9th, 2006 at 12:26 PM
P
P
When did you plant your garlic? Garlic is winter hardy and needs a cold period of several weeks to break dormancy and develop good roots. If you planted it in the spring of last year and it didn't come up, then it probably will not come up this year. It's best to plant garlic in the fall.

I plant mine in October, and if there is a warm snap in December, the garlic sprouts. It will get snowed on, but it survives. I got a pretty good crop last year. I think I posted some pictures.

What did you use for your "seed" garlic? Did you order cloves or just use cloves that you bought from the supermarket. Supermarket garlic can be months old by the time you buy it, and not the best option for planting in your garden.

#47237 March 9th, 2006 at 04:24 PM
Supermarket garlic can also be sprayed to prevent it from shooting on the shelves. It adds to shelf life. I use either stuff i grew myself last year or order cloves from an organic seed supplier etc.
Did you know, when you break up the garlic into individual cloves for planting, it must have a section of the original root system ( the basal plate) still on the clove, or it won't grow. So when breaking up the knob, any that don't have basal plate on them, should be used in the kitchen, (or for making sprays or keeping vampires away or whatever you use it for;-)

#47238 March 9th, 2006 at 09:15 PM
J
J
I think you'll be OK. Garlic needs to be planted in late Oct/early Nov in the northeast for summer harvest the following year.

Link Copied to Clipboard